First Prev
of 3
Next Last
El Fuego

Saint-jean, Canada

#1 May 18, 2007
I had to change twice that poor failing resonator; also I had to replace very ofently the air hose to the turbo.
It suppose to be a very reliable motor
Winnebago View 3500 2006
steve tilotta

Houston, TX

#2 May 18, 2007
From what I hear, it happens more frequently with the RV conversion than with the straight van?
El Fuego wrote:
I had to change twice that poor failing resonator; also I had to replace very ofently the air hose to the turbo.
It suppose to be a very reliable motor
Winnebago View 3500 2006
El Fuego

Saint-jean, Canada

#3 May 19, 2007
steve tilotta wrote:
From what I hear, it happens more frequently with the RV conversion than with the straight van?
<quoted text>
Winebago take care of the RV's house, nothing to do with fth chassis and motor., so »I dont understand your comment. Thanks
Betty Hamilton

Charlotte, NC

#4 Jun 22, 2007
Had the turbo resinator fail over the weekend on an out of State RV trip.
Sprinter RV Conversion - this was the 3rd tow on my new sprinter in 4 months. 1) Fuel Rail pressure malfunction and fuel sensor leaking 2) Replaced fuel quantity valve 3) Turbo Resinator failed. Very discouraging for this Sprinter - did I get a lemon? Winnebago Navion 2006 3500 Charlotte, NC

“Mercedes-Benz Sprinter”

Since: Dec 06

Hobart Tasmania

#5 Jun 24, 2007
Betty Hamilton wrote:
Sprinter RV Conversion - this was the 3rd tow on my new sprinter in 4 months. 1) Fuel Rail pressure malfunction and fuel sensor leaking 2) Replaced fuel quantity valve 3) Turbo Resinator failed. Very discouraging for this Sprinter - did I get a lemon? Winnebago Navion 2006 3500 Charlotte, NC

Betty you did not get a lemon as such , but many of the problems you are encountering can be avoided , via the correct fuels and oils along with making sure your vehicle is balanced to center to gravity with the correct front and rear axle loadings springs and bearings sway bars front and back, two of! not one.
If your interested follow the links on turbo resonators issues and possiable axle ratios for final drives being flawed Canada and the US have slight differences and the Vin specs are wrong to the model 3500. Minimum front axle loading is 1850 KG max 2000KG final axle ratio, is one only for the 316 OM647 in this class 4.111 this is on the rear differential tagged Gertag Germany.
To much information to be placed on topix sorry.
Richard
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.p...
Turbo Resonator Problem
fuego

Saint-jean, Canada

#6 Jul 4, 2007
Surprising that Mercedes is not able to provide a good part for that resonator;
I am not secure anymore when I use my Win View, ; I Was so proud of it!
Imagine, next winter I have to go to Mexico ...
Jim Riordan

United States

#7 Aug 1, 2007
Dear Fellow Sprinter owners. Several instances of Sprinter Turbo Resonator failures have occurred in which the vehicle has gone into “Limp Home” mode going up steep hills, which resulted in the vehicle slowing abruptly and almost being hit from behind by a following vehicle. In at least two cases that we are aware of, the following vehicle was an 18 wheeler traveling at highway speeds. In this failure mode, the Sprinter slows to a crawl almost immediately with no visible warning, because the BRAKE LIGHTS DID NOT COME ON. Typically, the driver has his or her foot on the gas pedal.

What we have just learned is that this same situation can occur even if the resonator does not fail. If the intake hose, which is under high boost pressure, suddenly “pops off” the stock resonator (or “pops off” the Riordanco billet aluminum resonator eliminator), the effect on the vehicle is exactly the same as a resonator failure.

In one instance reported to us, a dealer had just replaced a stock resonator with another stock resonator. The Intake hose “popped off” the turbo resonator not long after leaving the shop and the vehicle was nearly rear-ended. Upon investigation and review we duplicated this problem in our shop. We discovered that as the tightening screw advances along a series of “indented” grooves in the clamp “strap” it is possible when re-using this type of clamp for the screw to deform the indented grooves in a manner that prevents the clamp from tightening fully, while at the same time, providing a false sense of “tightness.” Literally, the clamp can be tightened as hard as you can turn it and it can still be loose enough to allow the intake hose to “pop off”, under boost pressure, which is quickly followed by a “whoosing” sound of rushing air from the passenger side of the engine and then the vehicle immediately slows down into “Limp Home” mode. You may wish to use an “Ideal” brand 1&3/4 inch-to-2&3/4 inch stainless steel “worm drive” screw clamp available at most automotive or hardware stores. These clamps have actual SLOTS for the screw to grip through, instead of the “indented grooves” found on the stock clamp and they do not give a false sense of tightness. On our own Sprinter we have installed TWO of these clamps, one behind the other. Hope this helps you avoid the problem. Best regards, Jim Riordan
Jim Riordan

United States

#8 Aug 1, 2007
fuego wrote:
Surprising that Mercedes is not able to provide a good part for that resonator;
I am not secure anymore when I use my Win View, ; I Was so proud of it!
Imagine, next winter I have to go to Mexico ...
Try the billett aluminum turbo resonator eliminator it will fix the problem once and for all. You can find it with a google search. Also, there can be another problem that will cause the same limp home mode problem ... Several instances of Sprinter Turbo Resonator failures have occurred in which the vehicle has gone into “Limp Home” mode going up steep hills, which resulted in the vehicle slowing abruptly and almost being hit from behind by a following vehicle. In at least two cases that we are aware of, the following vehicle was an 18 wheeler traveling at highway speeds. In this failure mode, the Sprinter slows to a crawl almost immediately with no visible warning, because the BRAKE LIGHTS DID NOT COME ON. Typically, the driver has his or her foot on the gas pedal.

What we have just learned is that this same situation can occur even if the resonator does not fail. If the intake hose, which is under high boost pressure, suddenly “pops off” the stock resonator (or “pops off” the Riordanco billet aluminum resonator eliminator), the effect on the vehicle is exactly the same as a resonator failure.

In one instance reported to us, a dealer had just replaced a stock resonator with another stock resonator. The Intake hose “popped off” the turbo resonator not long after leaving the shop and the vehicle was nearly rear-ended. Upon investigation and review we duplicated this problem in our shop. We discovered that as the tightening screw advances along a series of “indented” grooves in the clamp “strap” it is possible when re-using this type of clamp for the screw to deform the indented grooves in a manner that prevents the clamp from tightening fully, while at the same time, providing a false sense of “tightness.” Literally, the clamp can be tightened as hard as you can turn it and it can still be loose enough to allow the intake hose to “pop off”, under boost pressure, which is quickly followed by a “whoosing” sound of rushing air from the passenger side of the engine and then the vehicle immediately slows down into “Limp Home” mode. You may wish to use an “Ideal” brand 1&3/4 inch-to-2&3/4 inch stainless steel “worm drive” screw clamp available at most automotive or hardware stores. These clamps have actual SLOTS for the screw to grip through, instead of the “indented grooves” found on the stock clamp and they do not give a false sense of tightness. On our own Sprinter we have installed TWO of these clamps, one behind the other. Hope this helps you avoid the problem. Best regards, Jim Riordan
steve tilotta

Houston, TX

#9 Aug 1, 2007
Such a good post that it needed to be repeated, eh Jim?
Thank you very much for this info. I carry around your eliminator on my 2006 2500 & now I need to be sure I have new clamps too! I have had several hose clamps strip out on me very easily in the past on radiator hoses, etc... But like you said, turbo pressure is a whole new ball of wax. Again, thanks,
Steve
Jim Riordan wrote:
<quoted text>Try the billett aluminum turbo resonator eliminator it will fix the problem once and for all. You can find it with a google search. Also, there can be another problem that will cause the same limp home mode problem ... Several instances of Sprinter Turbo Resonator failures have occurred in which the vehicle has gone into “Limp Home” mode going up steep hills, which resulted in the vehicle slowing abruptly and almost being hit from behind by a following vehicle. In at least two cases that we are aware of, the following vehicle was an 18 wheeler traveling at highway speeds. In this failure mode, the Sprinter slows to a crawl almost immediately with no visible warning, because the BRAKE LIGHTS DID NOT COME ON. Typically, the driver has his or her foot on the gas pedal.
patrik gunnarsson

Chula Vista, CA

#10 Aug 1, 2007
Hi,
I just wanted to add that my girlfriend and I have a 2006 Navion and have had nothing but problems with the loss of power. This is our 3rd ruined vacation and we have had enough. I can't rely on this vehicle getting us there and back home anymore. We are now looking at legal matters concerning these issues.
Betty Hamilton

Charlotte, NC

#11 Aug 6, 2007
Having exact same problem here with Navion - just towed in yesterday for 4th time. Would like to speak with you. Betty Hamilton bjh@carolina.rr.com
patrik gunnarsson wrote:
Hi,
I just wanted to add that my girlfriend and I have a 2006 Navion and have had nothing but problems with the loss of power. This is our 3rd ruined vacation and we have had enough. I can't rely on this vehicle getting us there and back home anymore. We are now looking at legal matters concerning these issues.
rick from ontario

Bancroft, Canada

#12 Aug 7, 2007
I have been towing a 4000lb trailer with my 2500 158in wb SH Sprinter[tows like a dream
Charlie

Lithia, FL

#13 Aug 9, 2007
patrik gunnarsson wrote:
Hi,
sorry to here that I have a 2007 and we just got back from 5,000 mi. trip and I am happy to say no problems. only thing I found was a lack of power going up hills or steeper grades. dose seem to be lacking in power (engine needs a little more).On the whole I am a happy camper 17 to 18 MPG for real e mail fista@hotmail.com
Ron from Colorado

Pagosa Springs, CO

#14 Aug 10, 2007
Sprinter turbo claims yet another victim! We were one day away from leaving on a two week camping trip when the turbo died in our 2006 Winnebago View. Complete and sudden loss of power while I was climbing a hill. I was almost hit by another vehicle. Luckily I was able to get back in limp home mode, but it ruined our vacation. This was the first I have heard about the turbo problems. Mercedes needs to do something about this! It did cost them $ 680 to tow it 112 miles to a certified dealership. That made me feel a little better, but now I don't trust it.

“Mercedes-Benz Sprinter”

Hobart Tasmania

#15 Aug 15, 2007
Turbo resonators seem to have an issue with the RV vans, I'd be looking at the secondary manufacture! and look for a compliance plate? too Mercedes-Benz weights and limits to their specifications.
Limey Guy

Sequim, WA

#16 Aug 20, 2007
Betty Hamilton wrote:
2006 Navion - Turbo resonator failed on RV weekend. Had to drive the 110 miles home because Dodge sent wrong size tow truck. 5mph for 110 miles is no fun on a 2 lane highway.
Limey Guy

Sequim, WA

#17 Aug 20, 2007
Ron from Colorado wrote:
Sprinter turbo claims yet another victim! We were one day away from leaving on a two week camping trip when the turbo died in our 2006 Winnebago View. Complete and sudden loss of power while I was climbing a hill. I was almost hit by another vehicle. Luckily I was able to get back in limp home mode, but it ruined our vacation. This was the first I have heard about the turbo problems. Mercedes needs to do something about this! It did cost them $ 680 to tow it 112 miles to a certified
dealership. That made me feel a little better, but now I don't trust it.
Same exact scenario happned to us. I have heard of a Turbo Resonator Eliminator being available that solves this problem. If anyone knows where to buy this let us all know ASAP. It is an $89 part.

“Mercedes-Benz Sprinter”

Hobart Tasmania

#18 Aug 21, 2007
Limey Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Same exact scenario happned to us. I have heard of a Turbo Resonator Eliminator being available that solves this problem. If anyone knows where to buy this let us all know ASAP. It is an $89 part.
Here is Jim's website
Richard
http://www.riordanco.com/
www.riordanco.com
Jim Mast

Boiling Springs, SC

#19 Sep 6, 2007
Just had the same thing happened going to Virginia. All of the sudden no power going up a hill. Made it back to Asheville but it ruined the trip. The service people just shrugged and said they will replace it, which they did. I am in the RV business and have driven over 15 Sprinters from Elkhart to Houston, and have never have had one that didn't need to go to the dealer for some repairs. Total distance, 1800 miles. And to think they have been making these since 1995...
patrik gunnarsson

San Diego, CA

#20 Sep 13, 2007
Betty Hamilton wrote:
Having exact same problem here with Navion - just towed in yesterday for 4th time. Would like to speak with you. Betty Hamilton bjh@carolina.rr.com <quoted text>
HI Betty...sorry it took so long to reply. Our RV broke down again and we are just fed up. Email me at Pgunnarssons@aol.com if you want to talk

Patrik

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Sprinter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
type of engine oil-2.7 1 hr fandler 1
Sprinter wont starts in cold weather (Feb '07) Dec 8 Clay 21
2006 2500 dodge sprinter radio codes (Jan '08) Dec 4 larry 23
Sprinter Engine failures (Mar '08) Nov 26 butnaru mihai 158
2006 sprinter 2.7 with code p2124 (Mar '12) Nov 25 Keyguy 4
Tickity-Tick-Tick - front of engine (Feb '11) Nov 25 gridd 4
ABS and ESP sensors (Dec '10) Nov 24 marco 25