97 neon smokes out the valve cover vent tube

Posted in the Dodge Neon Forum

rick

Fort Mill, SC

#1 Feb 10, 2010
my 97 neon has rough idle.i found the valve cover vent tube going back to the throtle body was blowing smoke bad back in to the cylnders and causing the rough idle.what could cause it to smoke like that from in side the engine.please help me.thanks
hellcat1988

Prescott Valley, AZ

#2 Feb 11, 2010
Check for oil in the water or vice versa. Also, if you haven't changed the oil in a while it could just be burning the old oil. If you have mixing of the fluids, your car needs a head gasket.
rick

Fort Mill, SC

#3 Feb 11, 2010
hellcat1988 wrote:
Check for oil in the water or vice versa. Also, if you haven't changed the oil in a while it could just be burning the old oil. If you have mixing of the fluids, your car needs a head gasket.
yea i checked the oil & coolant.the coolant looks fine but the oil dosen't look bad in the pan ,but i took the valve cover off & the oil has a milky film all on the top of the head & valve cover.so im thinking im going to do a head gasket.thanks for your reply hellcat1988
hellcat1988

Twin Valley, MN

#4 Feb 12, 2010
Not a problem. Though I'd suggest that you replace your timing belt and water pump when you do the head gasket. It may add a bit to the repair, but it'll save you time and money down the road since you have to take the belt off anyway.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Neon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Water leak (Oct '06) Oct 14 Angee 82
dodge neon 02 suddenly won't start (Jul '06) Oct 14 lonely101 233
acr Oct 13 shizznizzle 2
Neon Knocking (Oct '06) Oct 10 shizznizzle 41
2004 Dodge Neon SXT Periodically Will Not Start Oct 10 shizznizzle 5
03 Dodge neon electrical issue Oct 3 Ram 7
02 automatic won't shift (Dec '07) Oct 3 Ness 15

Dodge Neon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE