rick

Fort Mill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2010

my 97 neon has rough idle.i found the valve cover vent tube going back to the throtle body was blowing smoke bad back in to the cylnders and causing the rough idle.what could cause it to smoke like that from in side the engine.please help me.thanks
hellcat1988

Prescott Valley, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

Check for oil in the water or vice versa. Also, if you haven't changed the oil in a while it could just be burning the old oil. If you have mixing of the fluids, your car needs a head gasket.
rick

Fort Mill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

hellcat1988 wrote:
Check for oil in the water or vice versa. Also, if you haven't changed the oil in a while it could just be burning the old oil. If you have mixing of the fluids, your car needs a head gasket.
yea i checked the oil & coolant.the coolant looks fine but the oil dosen't look bad in the pan ,but i took the valve cover off & the oil has a milky film all on the top of the head & valve cover.so im thinking im going to do a head gasket.thanks for your reply hellcat1988
hellcat1988

Gary, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2010

Not a problem. Though I'd suggest that you replace your timing belt and water pump when you do the head gasket. It may add a bit to the repair, but it'll save you time and money down the road since you have to take the belt off anyway.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

17 Users are viewing the Dodge Neon Forum right now

Search the Dodge Neon Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
2000 Neon ECU/Computer Replacement--(died while... (Mar '08) Tue Paul 41
2005 Dodge neon sxt will not start. Lights and ... (Aug '09) Mon tjl 117
2004 Dodge Neon SXT Problems (Sep '07) Mon ubermechman 252
Oil Pressure Switch Location (Aug '07) Apr 13 2002 dodge neon sxt 7
1998 Plymouth Neon No fuel getting into the fue... (Dec '11) Apr 7 tye 25
2002 dodge neon oil pump Apr 6 jim 1
dodge neon sxt Apr 6 charles 1
•••

Buy a New Car