Comments
1 - 20 of 209 Comments Last updated Feb 3, 2014
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
wayneo

United States

#1 Jun 2, 2006
Fan for Heat & A/C only work on high setting.
Anyone have a part number or info.
Thanx
Wayneo
Mike

Selden, NY

#2 Jun 5, 2006
I have a 2005 Sebring and that has started on my car today. It will only blow hot or cold air on high, nothing happens on the first 3 settings
Lori

Chantilly, VA

#3 Jun 13, 2006
wayneo wrote:
Fan for Heat & A/C only work on high setting.
Anyone have a part number or info.
Thanx
Wayneo
Wayneo - Mine just broke last week. Right when a storm came up... interesting...I'm in No. VA...Go into Google and type in Chrysler Sebring Motor Resistor and you will get alot of info. I'm taking mine to the dealer this Friday (6/16).... This is crazy..I've only had the car since Oct 05. Do me a favor and email me at luveek64@yahoo.com.. I'm interested to know whats going on. I think there should be a recall.. Don't you?
Lori
Ryan

AOL

#4 Jul 30, 2006
I have a 2002 chrysler sebring convertible with the same problem and after paying $45.00 at the dealership for a new blower motor resistor it seemed to fix the problem but only for 2 days and then the new resistor went out which the dealership told me that they have had this problem for a while and they have now changed over to using aftermarket resistors that are suppose to be better but of course the aftermarket resistor failed just as fast as the original and so I have given up on even trying to fix it because there is nothing that can be done to repair the problem, the resistors will just keep blowing one right after another. Anyone who would like some information about chrysler and their horrible problems with their sebring convertibles email me at daytripperkr682@aol.com and I will gladly share with you the transmission problems, engine problems, diagnostic code problems, heater and ac problems, steering problems, covertible top problems, and other problems I have gathered information on because my car is such a piece of shit. And one other thing, the reason why Chrysler never put out a recall on the blower resistors is because they have it listed as a TSB (technical service bulliten) which gives them the legal right to not issue a recall so they can earn more money from people when they have to bring their vehicle in to have diagnostics checked, a resistor replaced, and then they can cash out on $349.00 for the diagnostics + part + labor when in reality the part only costs $45.00 and can be replaced at home on your own by removing only 2 screws and unplugging the wire connection then plugging in the new one and screwing it back into place. Ryan.
Tom

Holiday, FL

#5 Aug 1, 2006
Ryan:
Our 04 Sebring Convert with 30,000 miles, has banging in the front, but only after at least 60 miles of driving. The farther you drive, the worse it gets...We have filed under the FLA lemon law.... They have put on 4 new tires, new tie rod end, PS flush, Trans Flush -- because of possible bearing wear, riveted the strut tops down per TSB, dropped and rehung the rack & pinion, and just Friday they put in a new steering column and steering knuckle....guess what, it is still making the noise. They are clueless !!!!!
Tom
Chelle

Fairfield, CT

#6 Aug 7, 2006
I have a 2002 Chrysler Sebring Limited Convertible with the same problem. I haven't replaced the blower motor resistor yet. I was told by a friend of mine that is a mechanic that a defective blower motor can cause the resistor to break. Rather then risk replacing the resistor and having the new resistor break I'm planning on replacing (or having someone replace) the blower motor and the resistor.
Ryan wrote:
I have a 2002 chrysler sebring convertible with the same problem and after paying $45.00 at the dealership for a new blower motor resistor it seemed to fix the problem but only for 2 days and then the new resistor went out which the dealership told me that they have had this problem for a while and they have now changed over to using aftermarket resistors that are suppose to be better but of course the aftermarket resistor failed just as fast as the original and so I have given up on even trying to fix it because there is nothing that can be done to repair the problem, the resistors will just keep blowing one right after another. Anyone who would like some information about chrysler and their horrible problems with their sebring convertibles email me at daytripperkr682@aol.com and I will gladly share with you the transmission problems, engine problems, diagnostic code problems, heater and ac problems, steering problems, covertible top problems, and other problems I have gathered information on because my car is such a piece of shit. And one other thing, the reason why Chrysler never put out a recall on the blower resistors is because they have it listed as a TSB (technical service bulliten) which gives them the legal right to not issue a recall so they can earn more money from people when they have to bring their vehicle in to have diagnostics checked, a resistor replaced, and then they can cash out on $349.00 for the diagnostics + part + labor when in reality the part only costs $45.00 and can be replaced at home on your own by removing only 2 screws and unplugging the wire connection then plugging in the new one and screwing it back into place. Ryan.
Bob Frost

AOL

#7 Aug 21, 2006
I have the same thing (AC/heat motor on hi only) just started yesterday. I can only say thank God it works on hi as it's been 116 heat index here in So MD. Tansmission hesitates also when shifting. Of course dearlers say that normal....right I DONT THINK SO GOOBER!!!!!!!!! Going to send this page to Chrysler Head Qtrs, sure they review daily. A recall is a must for these Sebring problems.

Master Chief Bob Frost
SoMD PAX River
Douglas

Fairfield, CT

#8 Aug 25, 2006
I've honestly had next to no problems with my 2001 Convertible. The blower motor resistor has just gone again (third) and only works only on the highest fan speed, but other than routine care for the car, I've had 107,000 problem-free miles.

I'm going to fix the resistor myself this time. I was charged the first time for repair by dealer, but demanded they fix for free second time and they did.
rick

Hastings, MN

#9 Sep 3, 2006
i have also had the worst time with my 97 sebring. i had to replace the motor at 80000 miles,(lifter pin sheared off and dropped the piston into the engine), now my transmission is acting up and my blower moter just went out (works only on high) and the odometer goes in and out but i dont wanna take the dash apart and cant afford to go to a shop. this is the worst engineered car i have ever had and will never buy another chrysler product. furnguy41@earthlink.net
etaylor04

United States

#10 Sep 9, 2006
wayneo wrote:
Fan for Heat & A/C only work on high setting.
Anyone have a part number or info.
Thanx
Wayneo
Hi Wayne,
You didn't say what year your Sebring is, however, I have 2000 convertable and I had the same probnlem.
I bought the car used and the fan didn't work on any speed except high. Since I bought the car from a dealer, I asked him to repair it. Well, when I picked the car up, he told me that he had changed the resistor that is located beside the blower motor. I told him that unless he replaced the motor as well that the problem would resurface in a few days. And sure enough it did. This is what I did to fix the problem. I took out the resistor and replaced the thermal resistor insde the unit with an exact replacemet from Radio Shack at a cost of about $2.00.
I also replaced the fan motor with an after marked fan from Advance Auto Parts. Cost about $30.00. I can't stress enough that they must be replaced together. The reason that the resistor burs out is because the motor runs all the time unless you turn the AC and heater control off. This causes the motor bearings to wear out prematurely. Hope this helps.
andy jeffery

Dudley, UK

#11 Sep 11, 2006
etaylor04 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Wayne,
You didn't say what year your Sebring is, however, I have 2000 convertable and I had the same probnlem.
I bought the car used and the fan didn't work on any speed except high. Since I bought the car from a dealer, I asked him to repair it. Well, when I picked the car up, he told me that he had changed the resistor that is located beside the blower motor. I told him that unless he replaced the motor as well that the problem would resurface in a few days. And sure enough it did. This is what I did to fix the problem. I took out the resistor and replaced the thermal resistor insde the unit with an exact replacemet from Radio Shack at a cost of about $2.00.
I also replaced the fan motor with an after marked fan from Advance Auto Parts. Cost about $30.00. I can't stress enough that they must be replaced together. The reason that the resistor burs out is because the motor runs all the time unless you turn the AC and heater control off. This causes the motor bearings to wear out prematurely. Hope this helps.
I LIVE IN THE UK AND HAVE A 2002 EXPORT SEBRING THAT AFTER 36000 MILES HAS THE SAME FAULT IE THE FAN ONLY WORKS AT MAX SPEED

I HAVE LOOKED AT RADIO SHACK SITE AND CANT FIND THE TERMAL RESISTOR YOU MENTION

COULD YOU POST THE PART NOS FOR BOTH THE RESISTOR AND THE MOTOR AS I AM SURE IT WILL HELP EVERYONE IN THE SAME SITUATION AND STOP CHRYSLER BENEFITING FROM THE DESIGN FAULT!
ronxwood

Smyrna, GA

#12 Sep 16, 2006
andy jeffery wrote:
<quoted text>I LIVE IN THE UK AND HAVE A 2002 EXPORT SEBRING THAT AFTER 36000 MILES HAS THE SAME FAULT IE THE FAN ONLY WORKS AT MAX SPEED
I HAVE LOOKED AT RADIO SHACK SITE AND CANT FIND THE TERMAL RESISTOR YOU MENTION
COULD YOU POST THE PART NOS FOR BOTH THE RESISTOR AND THE MOTOR AS I AM SURE IT WILL HELP EVERYONE IN THE SAME SITUATION AND STOP CHRYSLER BENEFITING FROM THE DESIGN FAULT!
I have a 2002 Town & Country and changed the resistor 2 times and the dash control module and the cabin filter. Worked for about a month then went again. Picking up a new motor monday and trying again.
klrtovft

Hixton, WI

#13 Sep 16, 2006
what is the part numbers for the blower fan and resitor? The blower fans on advanced autos website are all around $80-90 for the cirrus, not $30, or is there an universal blower that will fit?
Ron Halifax Nova Scotia

Kentville, Canada

#14 Sep 19, 2006
Hi... Greeting from beautiful Nova Scotia. I am having the same problem with the blower motor resistor in my 2002 Sebring. I wonder if you might share the detailed information of the parts you got from Radio Shack and how you went about doing the modification. Much appreciate any info you could provide.
etaylor04 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Wayne,
You didn't say what year your Sebring is, however, I have 2000 convertable and I had the same probnlem.
I bought the car used and the fan didn't work on any speed except high. Since I bought the car from a dealer, I asked him to repair it. Well, when I picked the car up, he told me that he had changed the resistor that is located beside the blower motor. I told him that unless he replaced the motor as well that the problem would resurface in a few days. And sure enough it did. This is what I did to fix the problem. I took out the resistor and replaced the thermal resistor insde the unit with an exact replacemet from Radio Shack at a cost of about $2.00.
I also replaced the fan motor with an after marked fan from Advance Auto Parts. Cost about $30.00. I can't stress enough that they must be replaced together. The reason that the resistor burs out is because the motor runs all the time unless you turn the AC and heater control off. This causes the motor bearings to wear out prematurely. Hope this helps.
jlm021

Wayne, PA

#15 Sep 19, 2006
I have an 03 Sebring w/ 90000 miles, and ALWAYS turn the ac or heat off before I turn the car off. Just yesterday, my car developed the same problem. Seems to me no matter what you do to prevent this problem, it will happen anyway (in this car, at least).
yaar007

Mississauga, Canada

#16 Sep 20, 2006
I have chrysler Intrepid 99 with 110000 KM.I got same problem with register. got it replaced a year and half earlier, now it got same problem again second time
Steve

United States

#17 Sep 28, 2006
I have a 2002 sebring convertible and had the blower motor resistor go bad. I read the post here that said you could replace the resistor - well you might be able to on an older model but on the 2002 the three resistors are integrated in an IC board and sealed with a black coating. I refuse to buy a $45 part to fix a problem that is at best a temporary fix. My solution to the problem was to bend back the two tabs that connect to the dead resistor and soldering a wire between them. The fan now works fine on the two low speed settings but number 3 and 4 are both high speed. Best of all it is a nearly free fix. If one of the other resistors goes then I will buy a new one, but for now 3 speeds is fine with me.
Ken

Jacksonville, FL

#18 Sep 29, 2006
Same stuff. Wish I had heard of all this prior to buying car 3 months ago.$800. into head gasker and plug wire now I guess same problem with this part where is it located so I can try to fix.
Ken
Mel

Glenside, PA

#19 Sep 29, 2006
I have the 2002 Sebring sedan and it seems like it is already having a midlife crisis. I have the same problem of the AC/Heat fan working only at high speed. I liked the idea of getting a wire soldered between the two tabs connecting the resistor, I think I am an advocate of not giving Chrysler some easy money like they got from me with a clock spring that broke for no reason, as well as for the plastic coolant pipe connector piece or the catalytic converter which cost me a grand it total to get fixed. Can you provide some more details on which wire to solder or how to access the resistor panel. I am fine with having the 3rd and 4th setting running at same speed, atleast I can operate the first two speed settings which will be easy on gas too!Much appreciated.
P.S. Chrysler should definetely have this included in their recall.
Steve wrote:
I have a 2002 sebring convertible and had the blower motor resistor go bad. I read the post here that said you could replace the resistor - well you might be able to on an older model but on the 2002 the three resistors are integrated in an IC board and sealed with a black coating. I refuse to buy a $45 part to fix a problem that is at best a temporary fix. My solution to the problem was to bend back the two tabs that connect to the dead resistor and soldering a wire between them. The fan now works fine on the two low speed settings but number 3 and 4 are both high speed. Best of all it is a nearly free fix. If one of the other resistors goes then I will buy a new one, but for now 3 speeds is fine with me.
Nancy

Canada

#20 Oct 30, 2006
Our '99 Intrepid seems like it belongs on this list of trouble makers. I have dropped over $3,600 in repairs & maitenance on this stupid car in the last year & a half. Yesterday the blower motor resistor went, the latch assembly on both back doors are being stubborn (have to put the handle down manually to have the door close) & now it needs ANOTHER alignment. Any advice on how much THIS is going to cost us ? I can not afford to trade it in on anything & the only place this Dodge is driving us is straight to the poorhouse!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler Sebring Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chrysler Sebring Starting and Stalling Problems 10 hr MikeB 3
2001 Chrysler Sebring will not start (Oct '11) Aug 24 andy car guy 5
Bad Engine on 2007 Chrysler Sebring (Jun '08) Aug 19 faith 110
Radio died, remote system not working, door loc... (Aug '08) Aug 18 Chris 16
2002 chrysler sebring transmission problem (Jan '08) Aug 17 keith 134
2001 Chrysler Sebring ... Engine Problems (Oct '06) Aug 15 pat57-2014 422
Power windows won't work anymore (Mar '07) Aug 10 ella phila 60

Buy a New Car


Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Chrysler Sebring People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••