Chrysler, Getrag set to announce new factory Monday

Chrysler Group and Getrag Corporate Group officials will join Gov. Mitch Daniels on Monday to announce plans to build a transmission factory that could eventually employ more than 1,000 people. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Roads Roads Roads

AOL

#2 Jun 13, 2007
This is great for the state of Indiana! I wonder when people are going to give Governor Mitch credit for helping to bring these jobs to Indiana. Granted I don't like some of the things he has done. However, he has brought more jobs to Indiana than any other recent Governor. I heard several college students recently say they feel for the first time in a long they may not have leave the state for a job.
Kumar

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Jun 13, 2007
Would this be to do getrag gear boxes? I can't remember what they're good at, and am too lazy to google it today.

If so, Chrysler could really use it...
Blueblood

Peoria, IL

#4 Jun 13, 2007
Roads Roads Roads wrote:
This is great for the state of Indiana! I wonder when people are going to give Governor Mitch credit for helping to bring these jobs to Indiana. Granted I don't like some of the things he has done. However, he has brought more jobs to Indiana than any other recent Governor. I heard several college students recently say they feel for the first time in a long they may not have leave the state for a job.
How many college graduates are going to work in automobile factories? I like the fact that Honda and Maybe Chrysler are going to build new production facilities in Indiana as well, but how much is the state giving up in tax credits and incentives to land these factories?
Truthful

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Jun 13, 2007
Darren wrote:
Good news!! BUT its old, tradional hard knocks manufacturing. Where is all the hightech jobs Daniels was promising to Hoosierville?
dang
It's tough trying to compete with 49 other states for the same high tech jobs, with no ocean or mountains.
Bryan

Shelbyville, IN

#7 Jun 13, 2007
Great deal more jobs.
dirty mind

Macomb, IL

#8 Jun 13, 2007
Oooooh, transmissions!:p
Chemistry Geek

United States

#9 Jun 13, 2007
This is good news for Indiana, however, this will probably be a net loss of jobs in Indiana due to the fact that the front wheel drive tansmissions that this plant will produce will replace some of the models currently produced in Kokomo. Keeping in mind that newer facilities require fewer people to run them, it will equate to fewer jobs in Indiana. I'm glad we got it, but at what cost???

Secondly, to Dirty Mind, these transmissions are state of the art and historically improve fuel efficiency by 15% over a traditional automatic tranny, so unless your part of the sick group who actually likes paying $3.50/gallon for gas shut the h**l up... Everyone complains about the auto industry not moving fast enough to improve mpg, yet when it happens people like you still complain! Move to Canada as far as I'm concerned...
Bill Arnold - Speedway

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Jun 13, 2007
"Could eventually" or WILL?
Let's see. Hmmm. Are these jobs forecasts as accurate as daniel's Iraq war cost estimates?
Just what is it that induces people in the state of Indiana to believe ANYTHING that this lying runt says?
Chrysler wife

Cincinnati, OH

#11 Jun 13, 2007
Do not be fooled...they are not hiring 1000 people, they are moving employees from the Kokomo Transmission Plant to the new plant in Tipton. If engineers want to be a part of this new plant they have to also live in Germany 2 weeks out of every month. Trust me, this new plant is not what it is all cracked up to be.

Now to the recent sale...they said it would not effect the employees in Kokomo, WRONG!! It already has and will continue to over the coming months. Engineering positions are being dissolved and the engineers are expected to change jobs, relocate to another Chrysler plant if jobs are available, which they are not.

Please do not be fooled by the stories on television or in the paper as they are not the facts as to what is acutally happening with Chrysler. The only people who know the facts are those who work there and their families.
cnc programmmer

Cincinnati, OH

#12 Jun 13, 2007
Just keeping job security in Indiana! The majority of these positions will be production, but I am happy to see that manufacturing is staying alive here at home. That means Indiana will still need skilled cnc experts.
Doug

Milwaukee, WI

#14 Jun 13, 2007
Getrag chose Tipton County so it could hog the county's water table. Who knows where the people of Tipton will get their water in ten or twenty years if there are any droughts due to global warming.
john smith

Providence Forge, VA

#16 Jun 13, 2007
Tipton County can use the jobs. Tipton County can use the tax revenues. Tipton County will need the tax revenues to pay for a new sewage treatment plant, new utility infra-structures, road repairs due to heavy truck traffic, additional police officers, the list goes on and on. The majorityy of Tipton County is comprised of farms, and of course farmers. Its' a wonderful, rural enviorment. Sure you can be snowed in during the winter for a few days. May get your hair-do mussed up when the wind blows steady at 25+ miles an hour for days on end. Likely spend alot of time cleaning around your house during spring planting and fall harvest. Moved here to get away from the city and its' ways. Looks like we didn't move far enough. Pity.
tarheel

Mount Airy, NC

#17 Jun 13, 2007
Props to the mensa's who keep bringing manufacturing jobs to Indiana. When will you learn your lesson?
lastrep

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Jun 13, 2007
Doug wrote:
Getrag chose Tipton County so it could hog the county's water table. Who knows where the people of Tipton will get their water in ten or twenty years if there are any droughts due to global warming.
Ok, lets not build the plant. Lets let one thousand people do without the jobs because we can't let this manufacturing plant near the water because global warming MIGHT cause a water problem. How sad that people look at this positive news and find some obscure reason to oppose it.
Chrysler wife

Cincinnati, OH

#19 Jun 13, 2007
lastrep wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, lets not build the plant. Lets let one thousand people do without the jobs because we can't let this manufacturing plant near the water because global warming MIGHT cause a water problem. How sad that people look at this positive news and find some obscure reason to oppose it.
Not opposing it if it were actually bringing in 1000 jobs but the fact is it is not...read my earlier post! Chrysler is only transferring employees from the Kokomo Transmission Plant to the new plant in Tipton. If you see this as positive then you are nuts. Chrysler will not be filling the jobs at KTP when the new plant opens. THEY ARE NOT HIRING 1000 PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!
Buy American

AOL

#22 Jun 13, 2007
I think that both plants will remain open.
john smith

Providence Forge, VA

#23 Jun 13, 2007
I've decided it is necessary to go on a minor rant about this. Somebody had ought to I suppose. Having an extensive industrial construction background I am curious about several issues regarding this development. Is anyone ready to explain about utility infra-structures, storm water run-off, road and highway development, enhanced life-safety departamental requirements, subsequent support developments, and certainly several other issues. I am hopeful that in its' rush to enter into the 21st century rat race, The current, temporary,political leaders here in Tipton County don't play it fast and loose to the point of leaving a less than pleasant legacy. Just who the heck is paying for all these rerquired enhancements to the existing infra-structures? You cant just toss 1200 people into a 140 acre cornfield, with their vehicles in a parking lot, and tell em "there you go". Sure hope it isn't the rest of the county's property owners on this, "if-come-maybe" industrial facility.
TheBlade

United States

#24 Jun 13, 2007
Chrysler wife wrote:
Do not be fooled...
Are you really married to a car?
GOOD

Jeffersonville, IN

#25 Jun 13, 2007
Good news!

lastrep

Indianapolis, IN

#26 Jun 13, 2007
Chrysler wife wrote:
<quoted text>
Not opposing it if it were actually bringing in 1000 jobs but the fact is it is not...read my earlier post! Chrysler is only transferring employees from the Kokomo Transmission Plant to the new plant in Tipton. If you see this as positive then you are nuts. Chrysler will not be filling the jobs at KTP when the new plant opens. THEY ARE NOT HIRING 1000 PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!
In the first place I was responding to a guy that was opposed to this plant for some obscure reason like water tables due to global warming nonsense. You are the one that is nuts. A new plant is being built. There will be jobs whether new or from another plant. Would you rather they build the new plant in Mexico?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler 300 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cars that tell you when they're broken 2 hr Jim 2
DaimlerChrysler warning on jobs (Dec '06) 2 hr John 3
'Chrysler' name officially axed for Fca Us 13 hr Tom Polcari 1
Chrysler 300c Stalls (Oct '07) Dec 8 Dave 146
Chrysler 300 Climate Control Light not working (Jan '08) Nov 27 gerard whelan 56
CEO to reveal 5-year strategy in early 2014; ke... (Nov '13) Nov 21 Jimmy 15
Chrysler 300 goes back to good, ol' days Nov 19 Tarreo 1
More from around the web