Pat Yelley

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2006

Vehicle has popping noise in steering. Have replaced hub assemblies, upper strut bearings, rack and pinion with no success. Pops at very low speed when turning wheel, sounds like right side, but hard to tell. Any suggestions?
Pat Yelley

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2006

Can you offer any suggestions as to how to fix problem?
Cheryl Gravelle

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2006

We are experiencing an ongoing, possibly eletrical nightmare with our 2002 Chevy Malibu.

For the past year and a half, the theft system engages at random causing 10 minute delays to start the car while we wait for the computer to reboot.

More recently, we had to disconnect the horn as it starts bleeping at random, even without, a key in ignition. Brake lights, check engine light all light at random and the most recently, the turn signals only work now when they feel like it.

We have had nothing but frustrations for the past year and a half with a 2002 Malubi.

The brakes, rotors etc have been worked on too many times now to even countinue to count. We have had the vehicle computer replaced and reprogammed to find not even a fraction of improvement for even a day and continue to be stressed and exasperated with the ongoing problems that we are experiencing with this car.
BadDay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2006

Cheryl Gravell said ::

"For the past year and a half, the theft system engages at random causing 10 minute delays to start the car while we wait for the computer to reboot."

this started for me YESTERDAY 98 malibu
allie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2006

Judged:

I have a 2002 malibu...has anyone had problems with the locks automatically engaging after you have turned the car off and gotten out? This car is a piece of junk. I have had to have both hub bearings replaced, the air intake replaced, and a gasket replaced. I was also informed that my S-belt is going bad and my air condition and blinker only works when it wants to. Does anyone have any similar problems?
mark

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2006

I have a 97 Malibu and it has the same problems -
Wait 10 minutes to reboot
Turn signals have a mind of their own
Horn honks whenever

It's fine while driving, but getting to that point is a pain.

If Chevy is the #1 car in America then we've either been lied to or duped. Someone should take legal action against them for horrible workmanship and false advertisement.

I'm never buying an American made car again. At this rate American car companies will be non-existant within ten years.
Harmony J

Since: May 06

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2006

Pat Yelley wrote:
Vehicle has popping noise in steering. Have replaced hub assemblies, upper strut bearings, rack and pinion with no success. Pops at very low speed when turning wheel, sounds like right side, but hard to tell. Any suggestions?
Maybe the "U" joint. My truck did the same thing. The part cost $44, but I couldn't tell you what the specific labor costed because I had other repairs done also.
granleli

Niceville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2006

What causes the cars rpm's to go up and down when accelerating?.....not a lot but just enough to notice.
Gary in ATL

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2006

I purchased my 2002 Malibu used from a dealer 2 years ago with just under 30K miles, supposedly a loaner vehicle. After about a year my turn signals developed the "mind of their own" stop-working-syndrome. I could usually get them kick-started by tapping the emergency flasher switch but it happened constantly. My mechanic (I won't go to the dealer) said his dealer and parts contacts told him the turn signal switch was being redesigned. After replacing THREE (and specifically waiting for the "redesigned" switch) he found a loose connector in the cable and replaced it. GM has issued a RECALL but refused to reimburse me for the switch as they say that isn't the defective part.

As to that furshluginer Passlock system, the designer and GM's CEO should be forced to have them in their cars! Sit quietly with the key on, set the parking brake so your headlights turn off, turn off the A/C blower and wait 10 minutes. When the light stops flashing turn off the key and your engine will start. My theft light remained on for about six months and I didn't have the problem -- it reset a couple of weeks ago and the darn thing has tripped half a dozen times. I'm sure it has NEVER inconvenienced a thief but it has sure inconvenienced me! Both my mechanic and the dealer assure me they cannot cripple it. Other than those two issues I like the car (knock-on-wood).
Julie in Missouri

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2006

My 2002 Malibu has the exact same signal problem as Gary.
armerdan

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2006

Pat Yelley wrote:
Can you offer any suggestions as to how to fix problem?
It's your CV axles.
armerdan

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2006

Harmony J wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the "U" joint. My truck did the same thing. The part cost $44, but I couldn't tell you what the specific labor costed because I had other repairs done also.
Chevy malibus are front wheel drive (as in they have no u joints)
Mike

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2006

armerdan wrote:
<quoted text>
Chevy malibus are front wheel drive (as in they have no u joints)
The U joint is located where the steering colum attaches to the rack and pinion. Under the rubber boot.
patricia

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2006

I have a 2002 malibu and have been stranded 3 times because it won't start. same thing every time ,turns over but will not start. LEMON
Lindsay in SF

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2006

Julie in Missouri wrote:
My 2002 Malibu has the exact same signal problem as Gary.
This also happens with my 2002 Malibu!!!! My security system light went on randomly the other day but shut off once I turned the car off. It didn't come back on at all, but two days ago it suddenly won't start -- the security light blinks when i try to turn it over, so sounds like I need to try the "wait 10 min, turn off, then start it" trick.
H Anderson

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2006

My 2002 Chevy Malibu's hood latch won't pop the hood open. Now it is in the garage getting fixed. Has anyone else had this problem? Any known recalls?
Eugene

Gatineau, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2006

My Malibu 2002 does the same with the turn signals. They don't work sometimes, though if the hazard light switch works, replace it. The problem is in the hazard switch - it contains the control unit for the turn signals.
jim

Bainbridge Island, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2007

I have a 2002 Malibu that has died twice while driving on seperate occasions.The last time it had a rotten egg smell.Now it wont start at all.It cranks over but wont start.?
Cameron Erickson

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2007

ive had heater defroster issues as well as some strange electrical problems lights flicker etc. I cant even get the dealership to help me in any way.I guess we know why american car sales are dropping off. I had a hyundau accent spent 9000 new that was a better car than this 2002 chevy malibu wich was 20000 new.Has anyone else had problems getting waranty work done?
vishal

Palm Desert, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2007

For the light flicking , chevy had a recall for tat problem ...... you can get it fixed from any chevy dealer for free ..........
The warranty was extended for 100,000 miles or 10 years for the turn signal lights
Mine had the same problem too , I ot it done for free

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of139
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
•••
•••