First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Dan

AOL

#1 Sep 10, 2006
Have a 2000 Chevy Blazer, wife ran out of gas and gauge has not worked right since, it bounces around and light comes on even when tank is full, any suggestions, no I will not get a new wife lol
thanks for any help at all
Cippo

Montréal, Canada

#2 Oct 3, 2006
it seems to be a common trouble on the 2000, mine does it too and i have to change the thing that float in the gas tank
Cippo

Montréal, Canada

#3 Oct 3, 2006
Dan wrote:
Have a 2000 Chevy Blazer, wife ran out of gas and gauge has not worked right since, it bounces around and light comes on even when tank is full, any suggestions, no I will not get a new wife lol
it seems to be a common trouble on the 2000, mine does it too and i have to change the thing that float in the gas tank
Ron

Dearborn, MI

#4 Oct 29, 2006
My 2001 Blazer does the same thing whenever the tank gets below 1/3 full. It did it a few times while it was under warranty, but I never got it looked at. After the 4th or 5th year it started doing it reliably. I've never bothered to get it fixed.
paul b in Pa

Concordville, PA

#5 Nov 13, 2006
Ron wrote:
My 2001 Blazer does the same thing whenever the tank gets below 1/3 full. It did it a few times while it was under warranty, but I never got it looked at. After the 4th or 5th year it started doing it reliably. I've never bothered to get it fixed.
Dealer quoted $300 to repair my 2002. Fill tank everytime you get gas and track mileage with trip odometer. Spend your savings on some good beer, the 21 gal tank will take you pretty far even around town @ 13-14 mpg.
mrc

Nashville, TN

#6 Aug 31, 2007
common problem with them. I have had to replace mine once already and hopefully I don't have to again.
s in mn

Duluth, MN

#7 Sep 4, 2007
You would think chev would come up with and answer. my 2000 1/2 ton has had this problem for a yr now
MADMIKE

Palatine, IL

#8 Sep 18, 2007
Dan wrote:
hey my wife did the same thing. she ran out of gas one night coming home from work and ever since the gas gage doesn't work. it only reads how much gas is in the truck when it is full and never goes below half. i have a 97 chevy s-10 4 wheel drive LT blazer. what do you think is wrong with the fuel gage
Pat

Atlanta, GA

#9 Nov 2, 2007
I jus bought a 2001 chevy blazer and I've noticed that the fuel guage always messes with me as well..today I had to slam on brakes for the first time, and the car made a loud noise, and I assume that it was just downshifting...but I've never driven a car that made that kind of noise before when I slam on brakes..afterward when I pushed the gas petal it felt a little stiff, and as if I broke something lol.. I dont know what to do about the gas guage, I've heard that if it says that it's empty it's possible for the car to act as if you dont have any gas in it and not start up for u.. this might be common for some of you guys, but this is one creepy car for me..
also..my rear hatch doesnt work..or I dont know how to open it..
dixxebell

United States

#10 Dec 16, 2007
The rear hatch may have a blown fuse, look in the main fuse panel under the hood there is one marked PWR LKS its a small size 3amp fuse this fixed my rear hatch and door lock problems.
RODMUSIC1

AOL

#11 Oct 30, 2008
gas gauge doesn't work in 1998 blazer. everything else works fine. help
Clayto

Dallas, TX

#12 Nov 16, 2008
I have an 01 blazer. It has the gas guage problem (just like everyone else). Well it was cranking up, but wasnt starting. It turned out to be the fuel pump which I replaced today. It seems that the guage acting up is a sign that the fuel pump wont last much longer. While replacing, I noticed that in order to change the floater (gas guage reading) you must take the fuel pump COMPLETELY out of the gas tank. If you are going to drop the gas tank on a 100k+ blazer, change the fuel pump. It will be worth it. The pump costs a little over 200 dollars
BlazerGuy

Hamilton, MI

#13 Nov 21, 2008
I just went through this. The gas guage had been erratic for the past 2 years (blazer odometer 110,000 - 145,000). The check engine light had been on for the last 6 months. The fuel pump finally went out and I had to replace the unit (Pump complete with sending unit cost -$340.00). Yes you can buy the sending unit seperately, however, you would be best served to replace the whole unit since your fuel pump will probably be next. The sending unit could probably be fixed by cleaning the contacts and bending the "tangs" to make sure they are making good contact, but this still involves dropping the tank and removing the unit.

If you replace the unit as I did, you will also want to buy/install a new connection harness. I think mine was $16.00. I understand that Chevy did issue a notice regarding how these can be faulty. Parts store guy told me those who've replaced the pump without the new pigtail, almost always have problems down the road.

The parts store guy also recommended that I fuel up well before the vehicle nears empty since the fuel pump is lubricated/cooled by the gas in the tank and running the vehicle low on fuel can shorten the live of the pump.

Hope this helps...good luck.
Harlans

Rochester, MI

#14 Feb 15, 2009
We had a 1999 Astro, have a 1995 S10, and a 2002 Blazer. None of the gas gauges work. Had the entire units replaced on both the Astro and S10 with no change. Chevrolet is well aware of the problem but it needs to be addressed while the vehicle is under warranty and the mileage is low.
dalton

Leoma, TN

#15 Mar 26, 2009
i have a 98 blazer lt 4x4 the gas guage as far as i know it only works from full to halfway then it jumps around im still working on finding the problem but i aint putting to much effort into it it aint that big a deal i been driving it for a while like this and its just kinda annoying but thats it lol
Blazer owner

Cleveland, OH

#16 Apr 20, 2009
I have 05 trailblazer. Had the fuel sensor replaced approx 1 1/2 yrs ago, not under warranty due to milage. It would just jump all over regardless of the amount of gas - had a teenage driver so felt it was important to have a working gas guage. Now it seems to be going bad again. When you fill up, the guage shows empty, the low fuel light even comes on. After you drive for a while, the guage starts to move up and seems that when you get to 3/4 tank the guage works correctly from there down - hopefully. I don't plan on paying to have repaired again - warranty only good for 1 year on the replacement.
rebelyell

Versailles, KY

#17 May 7, 2009
i had a fuel pump go out on my 2000 blazer at about 120000 miles. i went with an aftermarket brand from napa. that one lasted about 2000 miles. and the replacement lasted bout 1000 miles. the manager at napa said they been havin problems with the fuel pumps and he swapped it with a new genuine delco fuel pump. its been working great for the last 40000 miles BUT the sending unit has a mind of its own. i dont trust it one bit. but there is an easy solution. when in doubt FILL YOUR TANK. i have a 4.3L and i am very heavy on the throttle, pullin trailers in the mountains, or just generally drivin like a jerk. it always goes at least 200 miles on a tank, so if its been more than 200 miles i know to fuel up.
djsmalls

Live Oak, FL

#18 Aug 14, 2009
i have a 2000 2door blazer, and the gas guage will not work on these type of cars, it might me the floater.. i dont know, every car is different.. but the problem with most blazers gas guages is the wireing harness. i would just order that part right form chevy.
Steffi

Toms River, NJ

#19 Sep 14, 2009
I have a 1999 and a 2004 blazer and both have the same problem with the gas gauge. My sister drives a 1999 blazer and also has the same problem. Also, the handle broke off the passenger seat which releases it for passengers to get into the back seat. Why is this happening???? Any ideas.
GUNNER4

Greer, SC

#20 Sep 24, 2009
My wifes 2001 Venture just started to have the gas gauge fluncutate from half to empty(including light coming on). 114,000 miles.
What can be done? Can I replace/fix problem myself?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Blazer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
97 Chevy Blazer Will Not Start (Nov '06) Dec 18 wfk5 179
Blazer 4 wheel drive problem (Feb '07) Dec 9 Mitch 469
2001 chevy blazer Lt abs brake light and servic... Dec 7 larry 1
2001 Blazer transmission (Aug '07) Dec 4 Austin 38
Transfer case 4 wheel drive chevy blazer Dec 4 Barry 3
1998 Blazer 4WD (Jan '13) Dec 1 james 3
Removing #3 spark plug on 98' Blazer. Impossible? (Mar '06) Nov 29 john 112
More from around the web