Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Feb 6, 2014
Mike

London, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 18, 2007
 
My flasher is click even when the signals are off and the dealer told me that I need to replace the multi-function switch on the steering column.

$246 for the part and about the same for labor. I can get the same part elsewhere for $110 but would like to find instructions on how to install it myself without tripping the airbag.

I was told I need a special tool to get some of the parts off. Anybody know how to do this?

Please email me at foolsfortune@hotmail.com

Thanks
Mike
susie

Traverse City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Aug 14, 2007
 
Mike wrote:
My flasher is click even when the signals are off and the dealer told me that I need to replace the multi-function switch on the steering column.
$246 for the part and about the same for labor. I can get the same part elsewhere for $110 but would like to find instructions on how to install it myself without tripping the airbag.
I was told I need a special tool to get some of the parts off. Anybody know how to do this?
Please email me at foolsfortune@hotmail.com
Thanks
Mike
Mike did you find anything out im having the same problem
Ashley

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 7, 2008
 
I am needing to replace mine as well. Did you find out any info on how to do it?
Brian

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 8, 2008
 
Same here. Clicking even when signals not engaged.
harry w

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 25, 2008
 
Ashley wrote:
I am needing to replace mine as well. Did you find out any info on how to do it?
Me also help harry.watkins@hotmail.com
Kyle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 12, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

Holy crap!$246!

I just replaced mine myself for $12.

Just go down to autozone or one of those places, and ask for a flasher for your 2001 Blazer. It will be about $12.

Then remove the piece of the dashboard underneath the glove department on the passenger side. Then remove the glove department itself by taking out the screws on it's hinges.

There you will see the flasher, simply remove it and replace it with the new one. Then put everything back the way it was.
slatr

Winter Haven, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Oct 22, 2008
 
I have a 2001 blazer the bottom brake lights don't work but the top one does I have no blinkers.the part is about 200 to 250$ the dealership told me ti was the multifunction switch after I tried to change the flasher relay witch was about 13$ that did'nt work.I'm still working to change the multifunction switch which is located at the bottom of the sterring collum if I fix this I will give more info.
Danny

Green Bay, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Oct 30, 2009
 
Kyle wrote:
Holy crap!$246!
I just replaced mine myself for $12.
Just go down to autozone or one of those places, and ask for a flasher for your 2001 Blazer. It will be about $12.
Then remove the piece of the dashboard underneath the glove department on the passenger side. Then remove the glove department itself by taking out the screws on it's hinges.
There you will see the flasher, simply remove it and replace it with the new one. Then put everything back the way it was.
The thing you replaced for $12 was the flasher, which is not the same thing as a multiswitch. That price ($246) sounds about right, I had the same problem and was going to do it myself but I didn't want to mess with the airbag and taking the steering wheel off so I took it to a shop and had them do it.
Billy barnhart

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Nov 18, 2010
 
I have changed my hazard switch and that didn't change my problem.I don't want to mess up my blazer so if there is any one that could help me save $500.00 that would be great.can you change the switch with out taking the steering wheel off.
stumiester

Montpelier, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Aug 12, 2011
 
What are these people thinking?
I just took apart one of these switches, the one on the brake pedal, and it looks like a switch that belongs in a VW beetle, not a 2001 Chevy. Anyway the contacts were burnt and after sanding them clean and reassembly (no $$) the brake lights work fine, geeze if they can hang Toyota for a sticky accelerator why didn't anyone complain about this obviously very common problem with Chevy?
Fix it yourself, the hardest part is removing the clip that holds the switch to the post on the brake pedal. tools needed, flashlight, screwdriver, fine sandpaper
hkemp

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Oct 6, 2011
 
i changed my multifunction switch myself and didn't take the streeing wheel off. i went to our local scrap yard and got a multi function switch for about $100. then i went on you tube and watch a video on how to change it and i removed the air bag fuse. only i didn't take the steering wheel off. there is only one screw that is tricky to get out. the screws are torques so i took one one of those set where you have the scerw driver hand and you can change the tip. i found the right thorque tip and then use that without the handel and then put a open end wrench one it (you won't see this screw until you get the cover off they show the screw in the videos but they have the streeing wheel off ). but for the other scerws you can use either a regular torques scerw driver or but the handle on the tip use used. it wasn't that hard. putting the plastics back on was kinda tricky but they went back on.
Lloyd

Topeka, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 22, 2012
 

Judged:

1

If brake lights don"t work check on recall for the multi-function switch. They had one for that problem.
Lorra

Ventura, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 6, 2014
 
Lloyd wrote:
If brake lights don"t work check on recall for the multi-function switch. They had one for that problem.
We had the problem of the lower brake lights not working, while the top light did.
Turns out, it was covered under an open recall, and the dealer replaced our hazard switch carrier for free.

The recall: NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 08V231000, or GM RECALL NO. 01073.
http://www.usrecallnews.com/2008/05/nhtsa-115...

If you're worried about driving to the dealer without brake lights, you can often hold down the hazard switch while braking, and they will light up. However, if you're holding the switch down, your turn signals won't work. Choose wisely.

Problem solved. Of course, now our daytime running lights don't work. Sigh.

(for search terms) 2001 Chevy Chevrolet Blazer brake lights not working won't go on

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chevrolet Blazer Discussions

Search the Chevrolet Blazer Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Blazer Electric Rear Hatch Will not Open (Sep '06) Mon Eddie 56
Removing #3 spark plug on 98' Blazer. Impossible? (Mar '06) Jul 20 mwaynejr 110
1998 Blazer Heat/AC Problem (Mar '07) Jul 11 Bill 123
Gas Gauge Malfunction (Sep '06) Jul 10 winnie 83
Blazer 4 wheel drive problem (Feb '07) Jul 5 Adrian 454
2001 Blazer transmission (Aug '07) Jun '14 Ron 35
97 Chevy Blazer Will Not Start (Nov '06) Jun '14 mary 175
•••

Buy a New Car


Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••