BMW 335i turbo overheating problems (missing oil coolers)...

Jun 30, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: BMW CCA News

I'm really shocked that no one has mentioned the apparent BMW screw up regarding the overheating of the beloved new E90/91 335i turbo--engine of the year. via BMW CCA News

Comments
1 - 20 of 54 Comments Last updated Apr 4, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Brandon

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2007

I bought My 335 I in November I have about 24,000 miles on it now and they are all highway miles. It's been in the shop now twice, once was the pulley's broke and shreaded some belts which caused me to lose power stearing and my air conditioning, it was in the shope for 2 weeks. I had it for a week after that and my car was overheating when I went to start it the next morning It was a hard start as I was driving my engine block malfuntion light came on and I started losing power to the engine. BMW service rep said it was my fuel pump and that it was on a national back order and would take at least a month until I get my car back. I am not too happy with my car at this point. The only thing is that BMW has awsome customer service and they really take care of you. They rented me another bmw, not the same model but it was a 2007. But the 335i is becoming a little bit discourageing at this point. I just hope they will perfect it for all future 335i owners cause the car itself is really awsome. pluse mine is fully loaded!!!
jonathan man

Havant, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2007

Judged:

hy got a black 335i and the paint looks swirly and scratched in bright sun but fine all other times any ideas? thanks.
Mel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2007

I picked up my space grey 335i in December. So far I have not had any problems with overheating(fingers crossed). I don't drive a lot though. As of today I only have 2500 miles on it.
CEASAR

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2007

MY 335I HAD THE DSC LIGHT CAME ON AND BMW REPLACED THE BRACKET STREERING COLUMN SWITCH THERE COMPUTER FOUND THIS TO BE THE STREERING ANGLE SENSOR BUT WHEN I DROVE IT OUT ABOUT 7 MILES LATER THE SAME LIGHT CAME BACK ON . ABOUT OVERHEATING YES ITS TRUE , THE CARS MOTOR FEELS INCREDIBLY HOT!!!!!!!!! GAUGE READS ABOUT 260/270 THIS CAN NOT BE NORMAL LIKE THEY CLAIM P.S THERES A RECALL ON THE SHIFT KNOB. BMW NEEDS TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE ASAP!!!!!!!!!!
james

Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2007

can i buy the twin turbo of the 335i? because i want to put it in my 530i.
,,,,please comment,,,,
Buzz Warren Baltimore Md

Winchester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2007

I have a 2007 335i automatic purchased in Dec 06. It does not have an oil cooler. On hot days (90+) at highway speeds the oil temp gauge consistently reads 250+, which seems way too high. I plan to write a letter to BMW NA requesting that they authorize installation of an oil cooler. Car has about 10K miles and I got the oil changed recently because of heat concerns.
calm down

Centereach, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2007

People need to relax.. if the car is running at a steady 250-270 degrees it is not going to overheat and is not a problem.. When you see the car pushing towards 340 then you should look into it.. My 07 coupe is running great thus far and the car seems solid as a rock
Bobby Long

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2007

250 is the normal operating temperature of the 335i. Mine has 7000 hard miles on it and I have never experienced any overheating. During a recent track day (ambient temp of about 95) it approached 300 however unless it goes over 300 and goes into limp mode then you will not have any issues. for more info see Roundel from september 2007.
GREG

La Jolla, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2007

jonathan man wrote:
hy got a black 335i and the paint looks swirly and scratched in bright sun but fine all other times any ideas? thanks.
TRY 3M FINESSE OR IMPERIAL HAND GLAZE. THEY MAKE FOR DARK AND LIGHT COLORS. GOOD LUCK
GREG

La Jolla, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2007

TRY 3M FINESSE, OR IMPERIAL HAND GLAZE. MADE FOR DARK OR LIGHT COLOR FORMULA. GOOD LUCK
PATTY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2007

I PURCHASED A 2007 335I RECENTLY, AND THE CONVERTIBLE TOP FAULTED. WOULDN'T CINCH ON BOTH SIDES CAUSING AN ELECTRICAL MALFUNCTION THAT STOPPED THE WINDOWS FROM MOVING. ANY THOUGHTS?
Ant

Loganville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2007

This is my second 07 3 series, they are very well engineered; all cars have little bugs in them the 1st. year. If you are concerned about the temp buy oil cooler. But I have about 7k on my 35 and its still running like a jet, remember BMW stands behind their product!!! AJB
xyz

Hayti, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2007

PATTY wrote:
I PURCHASED A 2007 335I RECENTLY, AND THE CONVERTIBLE TOP FAULTED. WOULDN'T CINCH ON BOTH SIDES CAUSING AN ELECTRICAL MALFUNCTION THAT STOPPED THE WINDOWS FROM MOVING. ANY THOUGHTS?
I had that same problem with my windows. I turned the car off and about 10 minutes later it was fine.
xyz

Hayti, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2007

CEASAR wrote:
MY 335I HAD THE DSC LIGHT CAME ON AND BMW REPLACED THE BRACKET STREERING COLUMN SWITCH THERE COMPUTER FOUND THIS TO BE THE STREERING ANGLE SENSOR BUT WHEN I DROVE IT OUT ABOUT 7 MILES LATER THE SAME LIGHT CAME BACK ON . ABOUT OVERHEATING YES ITS TRUE , THE CARS MOTOR FEELS INCREDIBLY HOT!!!!!!!!! GAUGE READS ABOUT 260/270 THIS CAN NOT BE NORMAL LIKE THEY CLAIM P.S THERES A RECALL ON THE SHIFT KNOB. BMW NEEDS TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE ASAP!!!!!!!!!!
What kind of shift knob recall whats the Problem?
xyz

Hayti, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2007

Dinan is coming out w/ the "chp" for the 335i in Dec

Has anyone heard stats?
Christopher

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2008

james wrote:
can i buy the twin turbo of the 335i? because i want to put it in my 530i.
,,,,please comment,,,,
Interesting that you should make this comment. I have a 2001 530I sport Pkg Manula ( great car & I intend to keep it), but I was also thinking of getting a 1995 530I as a project and either outing in a 2001-2003 power pack (engine etc) or a 2007 335 Engine/power pack. I like the 2001s handling, but the 1995 is less refined and you really feel the road. One person said that the 94/95 was like a magnet on a pience of steel on the road. I felt this also in a 94 530I, and oh yes I do like it very much!!

There would be fair bit of work involved with the electonics etc ie this is not a light project. A later model 530I should be easier, but then you loose the feel of the road

Christopher

whitetail88@hotmail.com
Christopher

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2008

Interesting that you should make this comment. I have a 2001 530I sport Pkg Manula ( great car & I intend to keep it), but I was also thinking of getting a 1995 530I as a project and either outing in a 2001-2003 power pack (engine etc) or a 2007 335 Engine/power pack. I like the 2001s handling, but the 1995 is less refined and you really feel the road. One person said that the 94/95 was like a magnet on a pience of steel on the road. I felt this also in a 94 530I, and oh yes I do like it very much!!

There would be fair bit of work involved with the electonics etc ie this is not a light project. A later model 530I should be easier, but then you loose the feel of the road

Christopher

whitetail88@hotmail.com
Christopher

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2008

Christopher
whitetail88@hotmail.com
bob

Hayti, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

PATTY wrote:
Mine did this. After 10 minutes it must have reset itself because it was fine. I have had no problems since
Dinan

Hayti, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Has anyone installed the Dinan package in there 335I yet?

If so, what do you think?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent BMW 535i Discussions

Search the BMW 535i Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Location of brake fluid res on 2008 535i. Apr '14 Bob 1
Hankook Tire is Original Equipment on BMW 5-Series (Sep '13) Sep '13 New BMW owner 1
factory amp location on 535i 2008 (Sep '09) May '13 Robert 2
ipod (Sep '12) Sep '12 Jordan 1
BMW recalls 150,000 vehicles | The Columbus Dis... (Oct '10) Aug '12 Jack 5
2011 BMW 5-Series Sedan - 535i - 550i (Nov '09) Aug '12 Alex 5
BMW 5 Series GT (Aug '12) Aug '12 e46M3 e60M5 1
•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••