5 cylinder chevy colorado

Posted in the Autos Forum

First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Since: Apr 07

ridgefarm Il

#1 May 3, 2007
And what bonehead at GM decided to put a 5 cylinder engine into the colorado instead of the 4.3 litre V6? You don't get any better gas mileage than with the 4.3 litre, and, if GM had any sense, they would put the cylinder deactivation in it as well

“Let's get the show on the road”

Since: Feb 07

San Antonio, TX

#2 May 3, 2007
I cannot believe that even a company as pathetic as GM has CONTINUED to put 5 cylinder engines in that truck. The 4 cylinder engine is underpowered, as it was in the S-10 (this truck is even bigger), and the 5 cylinder just doesn't have enough umph to make it go any better. GM V6s are notoriously unreliable, but at least the vehicle would be able to get out of it's own way as it races to the exit to get to the gas station! They even put this weird little engine in the "small" Hummer!

The 5 cylinder engine is just another example of GM's arrogance, and refusal to do ANYTHING right!

Since: Apr 07

ridgefarm Il

#4 May 3, 2007
I agree the GM V6's are reliable. Its just a shame they didn't put one in the colorado. I would have bought one with a V6, but I won't touch a 5 cylinder.
ben berlinsky

Reynoldsville, PA

#5 May 3, 2007
Yes the 5 cylinder is a dumb idea, although the colorado and canyon will still tow a good deal for such a small truck.
Michael

Middleboro, MA

#6 May 3, 2007
Chevy Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you get all of your bogus information, I have owned many GM v6's and they are the most reliable engine ever, the last one I had, had over 200k miles. Go push your jap junk somewhere else.
Heavy Chevy! You never had a Jap car I bet!
GMisBEST

Edmonton, Canada

#7 May 3, 2007
hey Chevy Man
why do you wasting time responding to these RETARDED Toyoyos???
ask the OWNERS at www.coloradofans.com
how they like the CC, not these dumfvck computer geeks who never even drove these trucks,and consequently their opinions are WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!!!
Gerald

Fayetteville, GA

#8 May 6, 2007
outafocus wrote:
I cannot believe that even a company as pathetic as GM has CONTINUED to put 5 cylinder engines in that truck. The 4 cylinder engine is underpowered, as it was in the S-10 (this truck is even bigger), and the 5 cylinder just doesn't have enough umph to make it go any better. GM V6s are notoriously unreliable, but at least the vehicle would be able to get out of it's own way as it races to the exit to get to the gas station! They even put this weird little engine in the "small" Hummer!
The 5 cylinder engine is just another example of GM's arrogance, and refusal to do ANYTHING right!
I'm with the chevy man, I have an astro van 1996 with 188k and never used oil between changes. Never let me down. Always used Penzoil 30w from day was new. No 5W30 for me. As Honest Charlie said " use a good single weight oil, no TRICK oils".
Gerald

Fayetteville, GA

#9 May 6, 2007
I'm with the chevy man, I have an astro van 1996 with 188k and never used oil between changes. Never let me down. Always used Penzoil 30w from day was new. No 5W30 for me. As Honest Charlie said " use a good single weight oil, no TRICK oils".
cheyenne

La Crescenta, CA

#10 May 21, 2007
My K1500 pickup hauls ass even at 209k, lifted and every thing, i love my v6 4.3, even with a lifted truck it works beautifuly. oh yeah rice rockets suck balls, and i was upset with the straight 5 too, but hey you can alwasy customize and drop in a v6 on your own.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#12 May 22, 2007
The 4.3 has has always been an excellent engine. The inline 5 five has its plus points also.
Geo

Milwaukee, WI

#17 May 23, 2007
My brother in law has a 97 1500 chevy truck with the 4.3 it has over 200k and runs great
SAC34

United States

#18 May 24, 2007
I own a five cylinder coly and I can assure the engine is more than capable of doing anything you could want to with a mid-sized truck. I tow and off-road with my 2 year old coly regularly, and can attest to the fact that it is a solid powertrain. Also, keep in mind that when it was released 3 years ago it out powered toyota tacoma which was pounding out a whole 190 horsepower.
2006scab2800

Cibolo, TX

#19 Jun 5, 2007
towed a 3500lb boat from sa to cc texas 11mpg 3rd 3400rpm no problem 70-75 under powered my arse sounds like op prob.
jim richels

Milwaukee, WI

#20 Jun 19, 2007
Tom Loy wrote:
And what bonehead at GM decided to put a 5 cylinder engine into the colorado instead of the 4.3 litre V6? You don't get any better gas mileage than with the 4.3 litre, and, if GM had any sense, they would put the cylinder deactivation in it as well
hg fgbkj
COLORADO OWNER

Phoenix, AZ

#21 Jun 20, 2007
YA THATS RIGHT I DRIVE ONE AND OF COURSE A V6 WOULD PROLLY HAVE MORE POWER BUT THE 5 CYLINDER DOESNT DO TO BAD
David

Barstow, CA

#22 Jun 24, 2007
2006scab2800 wrote:
towed a 3500lb boat from sa to cc texas 11mpg 3rd 3400rpm no problem 70-75 under powered my arse sounds like op prob.
WOW, That is actually VERY crappy mileage... Even for towing a boat... I got 15 in my 235k mile original engine'd Jeep Comanche on my last cross country trailer trek. I wish Jeep had made that pickup for more years.
tomx

Portland, OR

#23 Jun 25, 2007
The "bonehead" at GM is trying to save GM customers $$$ at the fuel pump. And also to lower the Cafe fuel rating in order to get the government off GM's back. GM needs to hire more "boneheads" like this. PS: its called genius! I can drive a five!
ron bugg

Gloucester, VA

#24 Jun 30, 2007
While everybody is comparing engines, try this one. On the 20th this mo. I bought a Mazda B3000, V6, 3.0 ltr truck. I owned it exactly one day and traded it for a GMC Canyon with 5 cyl, 3.5. The mazda really sucked and had no power. The Canyon had ALL the power I needed. I think the problem with the mazda is that it was a conventional 12v v6 and when you add all the polution banjo works and air condition you get a weak sucking engine. Cost me $5800 more but the Canyon is worth a lot more than that........
David

Branson, MO

#26 Jul 21, 2007
I own a 05 colorado reg cab 5 cyl. 2wd. Routinely gets 23-24 mpg overall wich is better than rated. Also raced an 03 s10 xtreme with 4.3 at rogersville dragstrip. He beat me to 400 feet with his slight torque advantage and weight advantage. Beat him by half second through the quarter, mine stock his had kn cold air
dimensioNzColora do

Boca Raton, FL

#27 Jul 27, 2007
cheyenne wrote:
My K1500 pickup hauls ass even at 209k, lifted and every thing, i love my v6 4.3, even with a lifted truck it works beautifuly. oh yeah rice rockets suck balls, and i was upset with the straight 5 too, but hey you can alwasy customize and drop in a v6 on your own.
No Offense, But to put a v6 or v8 in a 06 Chevy Colorado would cost u about $7,000-$10,000. They told me somthing about changing me wiring and i think he said my egu or ecu not sure he said I'm looking at like $2,000 right there alone. Also new Transmission, Brakes, and driver terrain... To Much Money. So and Engine swap is out of the question unless u got that kinda money, I sure don't.I own a 2.8liter and i was looking to buy a new engine or possibly a turbocharger for it ... But there is none made to fit, so i called Hahn Autosport and was told a stage 2 turbo kit would cost about 3,800 - 4,000 dollars... The Only Performance out for this truck is a Intake, Exhaust, Super Chip, and Throttle body spacer. Which will only give u roughly 60-70 HP.... whats that gonna do to the 4 cylinder, other then make it just as fast as the 5cyl....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Malaysia Airlines Is Hemorrhaging Money, Flying... 21 hr _malon_goblok 6
Michigan weighs whether to bar Tesla Oct 19 reality is a crutch 1
2014 Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot Make Detroit... (Jan '13) Oct 19 ggg 6
NHTSA investigating power modules on Chrysler G... Oct 16 Durango 1
Regulators broaden Chrysler vehicle stalling probe Oct 16 Durango 1
why Nissan Consult 3 always shows not compatible Oct 16 uobd2 2
Junk My Car, Auto Salvage, Cash for Cars, ... (Jan '12) Oct 14 maryjaneprincton 15

Autos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE