Comments
1 - 20 of 295 Comments Last updated Apr 18, 2013
First Prev
of 15
Next Last
texas ranger

Austin, TX

#1 Jun 1, 2012
My wife was reading that 90 percent of all babies with down syndrome are aborted. I think it's good that we can screen for these defects now and abort. My wife thinks it's all in God's plan and would never abort. We're interested to know how you feel about this.

“I Am No One To Be Trifled With”

Since: Jun 09

Dread Pirate Roberts

#2 Jun 1, 2012
Interesting, how you used the term "defects". The baby is still a priceless human being and all with down syndrome should be given the chance to live their life just as you, myself and anyone else has.

So, no, abortion would not be an option.

“I ain't afraid of no ghosts.”

Since: Aug 08

Dear old mucky Drasnia

#3 Jun 1, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
Interesting, how you used the term "defects". The baby is still a priceless human being and all with down syndrome should be given the chance to live their life just as you, myself and anyone else has.
So, no, abortion would not be an option.
It really depends. We can see, with modern imaging, if the fetus has heart defects, which is often the case with trisomy 21. These defects can be severe enough that they would kill the baby while still in infancy, and be very painful while doing so. In these cases, I would abort, when it's the difference between a slow painful death, and one that isn't, the choice is clear, in my opinion.

“I ain't afraid of no ghosts.”

Since: Aug 08

Dear old mucky Drasnia

#4 Jun 1, 2012
I should add that I work one-on-one with people with developmental disabilities, and have done so for most of my life, as well as have a sibling with a developmental disability. I'm not coming at this as an "outsider."

“I Am No One To Be Trifled With”

Since: Jun 09

Dread Pirate Roberts

#5 Jun 1, 2012
Silk_the_Absent1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It really depends. We can see, with modern imaging, if the fetus has heart defects, which is often the case with trisomy 21. These defects can be severe enough that they would kill the baby while still in infancy, and be very painful while doing so. In these cases, I would abort, when it's the difference between a slow painful death, and one that isn't, the choice is clear, in my opinion.
In that case I could actually see your point. The decision would still not be an easy one necessarily but I can see your reasoning.

One would have to decide based on their conscience. Some would still not have the abortion and trust in God.{I only bring this up because some would...}

“I ain't afraid of no ghosts.”

Since: Aug 08

Dear old mucky Drasnia

#6 Jun 1, 2012
I can understand the sentiment, but the fact remains that 50% of all people with trisomy 21 have a form of congestive heart failure. While for many it won't hit until later in life, it can strike during pregnancy.
yup

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jun 1, 2012
As a male, if I knew my child was going to be born retarded then I would ask the Mother to abort the fetus. Raising kids is hard enough, raising a retarded one that may need care for the rest of its life would just make things far more difficult than they should be. We already have enough people on this Earth competing for resources. Why bring in one that in all probability won't be able to have the ability to make a worthwhile contribution back to mankind? And for you religious zealots, you should learn to make informed decisions, not decisions based on unsubstantiated fairy tales.

“26.2”

Since: Feb 08

Santa Fe, NM

#8 Jun 1, 2012
We had ultra sound on all of our kids and they were all healthy, so I don't know what I would do if faced with a Down Syndrome fetus. What I do know is that the ultimate decision would have been that of my wife. It would have no doubt been a heart wrenching decision.

“More Brains Than .....”

Since: Sep 11

..a Zombie Thanksgiving

#9 Jun 1, 2012
Would good christians abort a baby if it was gonna be born gay?

We know thay wouldn't let it marry someone of the same gender.

“26.2”

Since: Feb 08

Santa Fe, NM

#10 Jun 1, 2012
Phil the Grillmaster wrote:
Would good christians abort a baby if it was gonna be born gay?
We know thay wouldn't let it marry someone of the same gender.
Oh, no, abortion is murder. The Christians would allow the baby to be born, and then send it to a gay death camp in Kansas or North Carolina.

“More Brains Than .....”

Since: Sep 11

..a Zombie Thanksgiving

#11 Jun 1, 2012
Lobo Viejo wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, no, abortion is murder. The Christians would allow the baby to be born, and then send it to a gay death camp in Kansas or North Carolina.
Thanks man,
I was way off.

Since: Jun 08

Atrisco Village

#12 Jun 1, 2012
yup wrote:
As a male, if I knew my child was going to be born retarded then I would ask the Mother to abort the fetus. Raising kids is hard enough, raising a retarded one that may need care for the rest of its life would just make things far more difficult than they should be. We already have enough people on this Earth competing for resources. Why bring in one that in all probability won't be able to have the ability to make a worthwhile contribution back to mankind? And for you religious zealots, you should learn to make informed decisions, not decisions based on unsubstantiated fairy tales.
As a male, it will never be your decision to make. Better wear a raincoat each and every time, my friend.

Since: Jun 08

Atrisco Village

#13 Jun 1, 2012
If I became pregnant with a wanted pregnancy, I'm pretty sure that I would continue the pregnancy with a Down's fetus. The important thing is that women continue to have the right to choose abortion, so that each of us can make the decision that is right for each of us.
None

Santa Fe, NM

#14 Jun 2, 2012
of my business.

“Experience Matters!”

Since: Jun 12

Bernalillo County

#15 Jun 2, 2012
Faster than my poker in an Asian hooker!

“Experience Matters!”

Since: Jun 12

Bernalillo County

#16 Jun 2, 2012
Lobo Viejo wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, no, abortion is murder. The Christians would allow the baby to be born, and then send it to a gay death camp in Kansas or North Carolina.
That's not true. It would be either put up for adoption for a rich liberal to adopt, or be put in a group home with peers.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#17 Jun 2, 2012
What did they do with DS babies back in the olden days? Say, a Native American giving birth to one in the 1200's. I'm guessing they tossed it aside like broken pottery.
yup

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Jun 3, 2012
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>As a male, it will never be your decision to make. Better wear a raincoat each and every time, my friend.
I didn't say it was my decision I said I would ask her to abort it, there's a difference between the two. You should consider advancing your reading comprehension skills before responding to comments.

Since: Jun 08

Atrisco Village

#19 Jun 3, 2012
yup wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say it was my decision I said I would ask her to abort it, there's a difference between the two. You should consider advancing your reading comprehension skills before responding to comments.
Relax, Skippy. I'm just saying that, since you think you should only have perfect little babies, you shouldn't have any babies, at all. The fact is, all children are challenged and challenging and you don't get to decide not to be a dad because your baby isn't up to your standard.

“I Am No One To Be Trifled With”

Since: Jun 09

Dread Pirate Roberts

#20 Jun 4, 2012
Phil the Grillmaster wrote:
Would good christians abort a baby if it was gonna be born gay?
We know thay wouldn't let it marry someone of the same gender.
No.

And your premise is flawed.

But nice to stay non-judgemental there buddy...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albuquerque Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
West Mesa families hope psychic will help solve... (Aug '09) 1 hr carri 89
bodies on the mesa 8 hr LuzAranda 5
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 10 hr Locusts 106,040
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 10 hr Mister Chix 55,116
Republicans reach out (Feb '14) 23 hr IntheNO 69
Ruidoso's summer rains fall short Sat Sad 5
Politix- Double Standards, Hypocrisy, unAmerica... Aug 30 Blah Blah Blah 8
•••
•••
•••

Albuquerque Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Albuquerque People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Albuquerque News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Albuquerque
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••