Kindle ebook reader thoughts

Posted in the Albuquerque Forum

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#1 Oct 18, 2011
After long and careful research of the Kindle, Iíve decided not to buy an e-reader at all. Why you may ask, well, for a variety of reasons Iíll pass on for others to consider. My basic desire was to DL and read e-books from the local library (Albuquerque). This post stems partially from personal experience, from the brochure and website the library provided(Abq/BernCo library system). This review is based upon using your PC to DL books, then txfr to the e-reader as opposed to a direct DL to the e-reader itself.

- to DL a book one logs into the library site and selects a book. Not a problem.
- you must have the Overdrive Media Console app installed on your PC which is required to DL any e/audiobooks from them, pretty much what all libraries use nowadays if they allow DLs. Unknown how they do this with the 3G internet model of Kindle/Nook etc e-readers.
- then one gets a link in their 'download' folder, clicks on it, Overdrive opens and you can get you book. Still not a problem really.

BUT IF IT'S A KINDLE BOOK

- now you must visit Amazonís website.
- there you must create an account if you don't already have one and login. As per the trainer this is due to Amazonís agreement between Overdrive, any lending library, and Amazon -BECAUSE- the book is in Kindle format(hence the Amazon website) visit. Sounds more like 'big brother' watching to me but...
- at some point thereafter or with a few more gyrations, one finally gets the book they wanted. What a PITA, too many places to go for one simple txn IMO.

OK now for the library problem(s)Ė for me in Albuquerque.

- our local library(s) only allow for a 10 day checkout/title of e/audiobooks. No other option(s) available.
- they also allow a max of 4 e/audio books checked out at a time during a 10 day span. Overdrive monitors this for you.
- if you DL a book and decide it sux, you canít ďreturnĒ it electronically, you got it for 10 days Ė period! After 10 days it automatically expires on Overdrive and is unavailable to you thanx to DRM protection to keep you from pirating the book. Same goes for WMA audio books(MP3 are unprotected) and apparently epub books too, like the Nook and pretty much the rest of the e-book mfgrs use.
- if you donít finish it within the 10 days allotted (maybe you had 2 chapters left to go) you can check it out again, PROVIDED someone else has not put a hold on it. If so, they get it and youíre SOL until it becomes available again.

When I base this all against having a paperback copy, the $100 Kindle isnít as attractive as it once was, and at a used bookstore $100 will buy a lot of books. IMO there are just too many hoops to jump thru to get a lousy book from the library for which I can check out unlimited paper copies and renew 3 times(abt 9 weeks total if need be) before having to return it, unless thereís a hold on it.

This basically applies to all e-book readers be they Nook, Sony et al. None of this is an issue it seems, if you purchase the book instead of checking it out from the library, however that creates another entire layer of 'big brother' if its a Kindle or Nook, maybe the others too. Nor it is a problem (I don't think) if you DL any of the old classics who's copyrights have expired FREE from Project Gutenberg.

Well, thatís my assessment of the matter, but if it works for you, Kewl Ė YMMV. I hope this helps provide a bit of food for thought for those straddling the fence as I was.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albuquerque Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ABQ companies lighting up T or C with 6,100 sol... 9 hr been_scammed 4
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 13 hr Rattlesnakes 56,023
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 13 hr Mister Chix 106,850
Review of the Burger King Yumbo 14 hr LeafBoy 3
why i vote Democrat 16 hr again and again 18
New Mexico Airlines cancels all flights until f... Tue ha 13
Family: Missing woman trying to hitchhike to Th... Tue Josie Spencer Coc... 1
Albuquerque Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web