American Airlines unions: Merger is best chance for recovery

Jun 18, 2012 Full story: Star-Telegram.com 26

Leaders of the three big unions at American Airlines said Monday that they support a possible bid by US Airways because they believe the bankrupt Fort Worth-based airline should be run differently.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cristina Saralegui

Red Oak, TX

#1 Jun 18, 2012
A merger would eventually leave AA employees in the jet blast. No way would US employees would allow full seniority integration. AA people would end up like TWA employees; modified seniority dates and the retirees would have limited opportunity to non rev.
International Flyer

Ukraine

#2 Jun 19, 2012
The sure fire way to save AA would be to fire all the pilots, flight attendants and mechanics and start over. How would you like to own or run a company where the employees have cut a deal with a competitor? They should all be fired!
friendorfoe

Saint Charles, IL

#3 Jun 19, 2012
Cristina Saralegui wrote:
A merger would eventually leave AA employees in the jet blast. No way would US employees would allow full seniority integration. AA people would end up like TWA employees; modified seniority dates and the retirees would have limited opportunity to non rev.
It has become abundantly clear that the employees of American would rather take their chances with USAir management. Not withstanding the difficulties of a merger, and seniority integration problems with the combination. The American employees have had enough of the failed policies of AMR management. They have not been forward thinking or proactive in moving the airline ahead. On the contrary,they have dismantled a once great carrier. Created a small jet fleet of eagles that provides an inferior product, and inconveniences its passengers. As well as run away from most all competition. So yes American employees are ready. They have had enough of "hope and change" like most of the country.
Know More

Broken Arrow, OK

#4 Jun 19, 2012
International Flyer wrote:
The sure fire way to save AA would be to fire all the pilots, flight attendants and mechanics and start over. How would you like to own or run a company where the employees have cut a deal with a competitor? They should all be fired!
??????????
&@()!//&$-/();;$);$.(: /":"$;(.'HELLO...... .... Are you for real..........LMAO..........
Maligula

Irvine, CA

#5 Jun 19, 2012
GOOD!
AA-B777

Dos Palos, CA

#6 Jun 19, 2012
Sorry Cristina, but the Railway Labor Act requires the merging union employees to vote on who will represent them, one union or the other (AA or US). AA being a much bigger airline (with a much bigger union), who do you think will win that vote and who will "get left in the jet blast"?
AA-B777

Dos Palos, CA

#7 Jun 19, 2012
Section #152 article #9 of the Railway Labor Act.

Ninth. Disputes as to identity of representatives; designation by Mediation Board;. secret elections

If any dispute shall arise among a carrier's employees as to who are the representatives of such employees designated and authorized in accordance with the requirements of this chapter, it shall be the duty of the Mediation Board, upon request of either party to the dispute, to investigate such dispute and to certify to both parties, in writing, within thirty days after the receipt of the invocation of its services, the name or names of the individuals or organizations that have been designated and authorized to represent the employees involved in the dispute, and certify the same to the carrier. Upon receipt of such certification the carrier shall treat with the representative so certified as the representative of the craft or class for the purposes of this chapter. In such an investigation, the Mediation Board shall be authorized to take a secret ballot of the employees involved, or to utilize any other appropriate method of ascertaining the names of their duly designated and authorized representatives in such manner as shall insure the choice of representatives by the employees without interference, influence, or coercion exercised by the carrier. In the conduct of any election for the purposes herein indicated the Board shall designate who may participate in the election and establish the rules to govern the election, or may appoint a committee of three neutral persons who after hearing shall within ten days designate the employees who may participate in the election. The Board shall have access to and have power to make copies of the books and records of the carriers to obtain and utilize such information as may be deemed necessary by it to carry out the purposes and provisions of this paragraph.
AA-B777

Dos Palos, CA

#8 Jun 19, 2012
Sorry slick, right idea, wrong group of employees.

Fire the entire group of inept bean counters running this company into the ground and hire some real leaders who want to run an airline.

The majority of AA employees are the greatest in the industry. Given a little respect by some skilled leadership, we will give 110% all day long.

Unfortunately, after being told for the last fifteen years that everything wrong with this company is our fault (while the story tellers were rewarding themselves handsomely I might add), views are just a little jaded right now.
Eastern Scab Pilot

United States

#9 Jun 19, 2012
Fire them and hire the Eastern and United Scab Pilots.

I'm ready and willing to assume my rightful position as a SENIOR Captain on the B-777. I'll pay for my own training and flying for just $24,000 per year.
Jen Smith

Lewisville, TX

#10 Jun 20, 2012
AA-B777 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry slick, right idea, wrong group of employees.
Fire the entire group of inept bean counters running this company into the ground and hire some real leaders who want to run an airline.
The majority of AA employees are the greatest in the industry. Given a little respect by some skilled leadership, we will give 110% all day long.
Unfortunately, after being told for the last fifteen years that everything wrong with this company is our fault (while the story tellers were rewarding themselves handsomely I might add), views are just a little jaded right now.
Couldn't have said it any better myself AA-B777!!! Anyone who has any knowledge of AA history and is aware of what has happened to this once great company over the last 15 years would certainly acknowledge the very truth to what you have pointed out! The general public may not agree with the salaries of alrline employees but believe me: you get what you pay for and if AA gets what they want and brings in lower cost labor and/ or sends maintenance works elsewhere you can be certain that AA will NEVER-I repeat-NEVER be the great airline it once was!!!!!!
Joe

United States

#11 Jun 20, 2012
Wrong. Check out USair's AFA Flight Attendant policy regarding mergers. Date of hire merge is their pledged stance.
AE EMB peelot

Cincinnati, OH

#12 Jun 20, 2012
Is it too soon to give up on being a happy pilot?
Im honestly trying to find the positive in this line of work, oh and second year pay is still less than what i made in high school. I literally might have to quit this job just to finacially take care of myself, not everyone has parents with $$$$$. USMC
RWG

Dillsboro, IN

#13 Jun 21, 2012
So the current employees of American Airlines think that the company needs to be run"differently". WELL NO SHIT ! HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU GUYS TO COME UP WITH THAT????
American should have dumped the idiots running that mess the day after Mr. Crandall retired.
Darla

Houston, TX

#14 Jun 21, 2012
Joe wrote:
Wrong. Check out USair's AFA Flight Attendant policy regarding mergers. Date of hire merge is their pledged stance.
If this is the case do the TWA employees and others get their original date of hire back? If so this can still get sticky. Or is it the AA merger date? Just curious.
Jen Smith

Euless, TX

#15 Jun 21, 2012
Darla wrote:
<quoted text>If this is the case do the TWA employees and others get their original date of hire back? If so this can still get sticky. Or is it the AA merger date? Just curious.
The integration of TWA with AA versus the possible integration of AA and US Airways is NOT comparible.. AA did NOT merge with TWA-as some consistently keep stating. AA bought TWA-it's a completely different situation with a completely different set of rules in reference to integration of affected work groups, so comparing the two events would be completely pointless.

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#16 Jun 21, 2012
Darla wrote:
<quoted text>If this is the case do the TWA employees and others get their original date of hire back? If so this can still get sticky. Or is it the AA merger date? Just curious.
It's because of what the arbitrator ruled in the TWA/AA case that a new law was proposed. Once the DL/NW and CO/UA stuff tok off, the law was passed. Seniorities will be blended now essentially. The reason the HP/US thing rages on it that they are grandfathered. Another reason the merger would be helpfull to US. The grandfathering would go away, and the new law would blend all work groups. TW has been decided so they are still screwed. This is what I have read from various analysts and beat writers. These are my sources. I'm not just pulling stuff out of thin air. I have not however verified any of this. That is the editors job.
Darla

Houston, TX

#17 Jun 21, 2012
Jen Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
The integration of TWA with AA versus the possible integration of AA and US Airways is NOT comparible.. AA did NOT merge with TWA-as some consistently keep stating. AA bought TWA-it's a completely different situation with a completely different set of rules in reference to integration of affected work groups, so comparing the two events would be completely pointless.
My mistake NO NEED to get so nasty. I was simply curious if it would be ORIGINAL DOH with or the date they fell under AA employment. That is all.
Darla

Houston, TX

#18 Jun 21, 2012
Prost wrote:
<quoted text>It's because of what the arbitrator ruled in the TWA/AA case that a new law was proposed. Once the DL/NW and CO/UA stuff tok off, the law was passed. Seniorities will be blended now essentially. The reason the HP/US thing rages on it that they are grandfathered. Another reason the merger would be helpfull to US. The grandfathering would go away, and the new law would blend all work groups. TW has been decided so they are still screwed. This is what I have read from various analysts and beat writers. These are my sources. I'm not just pulling stuff out of thin air. I have not however verified any of this. That is the editors job.
Thank you. I was curious. The carrier I work for did a "purchase" some time back and it is still a hot mess. Then stir in the "feelings" etc and you have so much animosity...I go to work do my job and do my best to forget the place on my days off. It would seem thru it all the more senior I get the worse my trips and days get...go figure. Best wished for ALL and ANY airline employees....during these difficult times.
Jen Smith

Euless, TX

#19 Jun 21, 2012
Thank you. I was curious. The carrier I work for did a "purchase" some time back and it is still a hot mess. Then stir in the "feelings" etc and you have so much animosity...I go to work do my job and do my best to forget the place on my days off. It would seem thru it all the more senior I get the worse my trips and days get...go figure. Best wished for ALL and ANY airline employees....during these difficult times.
Sorry if my message appeared to you to be nasty. That most certainly was NOT my intention. I was simply trying to clarify the importance of distinguishing the difference between the 2 events of the buyout vs. the possible merger. Again, my sincere apologies to anyone who took my comment negatively
Jen Smith

Euless, TX

#20 Jun 21, 2012
Sorry if my message appeared to you to be nasty. That most certainly was NOT my intention. I was simply trying to clarify the importance of distinguishing the difference between the 2 events of the buyout vs. the possible merger. Again, my sincere apologies to anyone who took my comment negatively

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boeing 777 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Boeing 777: 1 of the most popular, safest jets (Mar '14) Sun Neville Thompson 424
Malaysian official slams article on MH370 pilot Sep 20 ougi 2
Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: What we know today Sep 17 IBU ERNA 3
Japanese agency supports Vietnam's north-south ... Sep 13 bach dang 1
Australia: MH370 may have turned south sooner Sep 8 Becky 82
Teddy bears, tea cups grim reminders of Malaysi... Sep 5 pak tamring di ma... 1
Travel: Canada's big skies, big fish and a wild... Sep 1 alexpro 2

Boeing 777 People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE