Dr. MARTIN L. KING'S LEGACY & the OCCUPY MOVEMENT: Would KING Support the 99%?

Posted in the African-American Forum

Comments (Page 248)

Showing posts 4,941 - 4,960 of7,281
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Level 8

Since: May 08

Pacific Northwest

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

Judged:

EkDesiLadki wrote:
So what ? Lot many students don't have cars. DO YOU UNDERSTAND INGLISH ? I said: WHEN I was a student.
Also, you are still DUMPSTER diving and steal Asian's silk clothes, isn't that LOW LIFE ???? At least my parents were stable enough to offer me food, dress and EDUCATION unlike yours. When you are INSIDE A DUMPSTER, YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT YOUR LIFE IS WORTH. You are a GARBAGE.
<quoted text>
LOL! Good morning, Sis... how are you?

Don't waste too much time with that dumb Nazi. She has mental problems as I'm sure you can tell by now.

“We are what we think!!!!!!!!!!”

Level 6

Since: Aug 08

Anger has no eyes!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

Porki, I'm NOT a student NOW. In your porki-maddrassa did they teach a basic INGLISH course ? LEARN SOME ENGLISH FILTH, INSTEAD OF SHUFFLING PEOPLE'S GARBAGE. READ IT AGAIN.
"When I was a student, I used to take bus often and there were several people who'll always come and speak to me in Spanish. "
pos wrote:
Stupid ole bat, probably can't even drive a car, I knew she sounded totally useless.
Probably can't even change a light bulb without calling her poor husband home from work.

Level 6

Anger has no eyes!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

Even if you are just a yellow belt with 6 months of practice, you can easily take down 240 lbs guys. You can see that happening in dojo every time.

Instead of being armed, I feel it would be MORE sensible to learn martial arts. Obviously, you could also disarm the person and hurt him with his own weapon.
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
I was trying to find out Martin's height, for I knew his weight was reported as 140--150 lbs. If he was 6'2/ 150lbs then he was think as a broomstick! I know. At his age I was just 1 inch shorter (amd still 6'1") and 150lbs. Folk in the hood called me "slim." ("Hey slim, what's happenin man?") I did study Karate at that age. I don't know whether I was already sufficiently skilled to take care of a 240 lbs ogre like Zimmerman.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

Barros Serrano wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I've heard regarding this case, it would seem that Zimmerman did indeed have a racist "attitude" toward blacks. If it is concluded that he committed a crime in shooting Martin, then this attitude should be examined by the judge/jury to determine if hate crime statutes apply.
However, your outline for presumption of guilt wouldn't hold up in court.
1. he followed, but did Martin turn and attack? When questioned, did he go off physically on Zimmerman? The fact of following doesn't confirm then that Zimmerman was the aggressor in any physical confrontation.
2. He had a gun. Martin had what ability as a fighter? He certainly portrayed himself in Facebook photos as a menacing thug type. If Zimmerman, as one witness asserts, was in fact on his back, yelling for help, had a bloody nose and blood on his head, then the use of a gun is in fact consistent with Florida's "stand your ground" law, however much we may dislike that law.
3. Faced with imminent and likely physical damage from an assailant, I will shoot his ass, even if he's armed only with a flower. We cannot reasonably expect Zimmerman to allow himself to be injured by an assailant because they're unevenly armed. Again, even without "stand your ground", existing self-defense provisions in the law would exonerate Zimmerman.
Since we don't have transcripts of what was said nor video images of the event (yet, at least), we cannot reasonably conclude which scenario is the correct one. And we therefore cannot impugn the motives of either Martin or Zimmerman.
Even pampered upper middle class black kids (with the physical abilties of a cub scout)often depict the rough image of the hip hop culture. Doesn't mean much what's in his facebook page if such is the depiction. Martin certainly had no record of hoodlumism, disciplinary problems at school or a police record. Zimmerman DID have a police record and, if I'm not mistaken, was once arrested for assaulting a police officer. Frankly, if Trayvon was white, and Zim Black, there's no way Zim wouldn't have been arrested. And neigbors themselves had complained about him. He was a loose cannon.
Interesingly enough, neighbors say that it was a child's voice they heard screaming for help. We don't know much about the witness who supposedly saw Zim bloodied and bruised. The jacket which Zim supposedly wore which would have had grass stains on if things happened as he and his mysterious witness claims, has been reported as lost. I hope they find it soon. I don't recall for certain, but the gun may lso be now missing; and I'm not sure ballistics tests were done.
If a stranger who is not an officer, and does not identify himself as an officer, physically accosts you on the street, you're entitled to try to escape him (as some cell conversations suggeest Martin attempted to do) or to reply with force, which he may or may not have done.
Face with imminent harm from an assailant you may be entitled to resort to use of firearms--though it's a stretch to claim self-defense given the obvious physical advantages a Zimm had without a gun. Unfortunately, Zimmerman himself would have been the assailant since he started the altercation--in DEFIANCE of police orders!
Even by the lunacy of that stand your ground law I doubt Zim has much grounds.
But a larger issue is suggested to me by the questions: If Martin were white, and Zim Black, with everything else we know about the two being the same, wouldn't Zim be in jail. Would anyone ask why the white child (with no record) was wearing a hoodie or sagging pants? Would there be this persistence in trying to find something "thuggish" about him to defend a black assailant witha police reoord? Or wondering what the 140lbs white kid's fighting abilities were?
Masud_S_Hoghughi __

Netherlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

Judged:

EkDesiLadki wrote:
You said you immigrated to US when you were 10 but you sound like someone who had all his education in 3rd world madrassa.
Do you claim that you are woe-man because your ex- castrated you ?
<quoted text>
...womb-man?.......

Level 6

Anger has no eyes!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

Judged:

I'm fine, brother.

Yep, true. It's low life nazi scum, needs some English education. I know many schools here take even kids in field trips in public transport. Many companies also give FREE public transit passes for their employee every year because of crowded parking lot. Carpooling or using public transport is highly encouraged in our areas even for working professionals. I know, friends who bike to work once in a week.

This scum doesn't know the industrial trend.
Harrisson wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! Good morning, Sis... how are you?
Don't waste too much time with that dumb Nazi. She has mental problems as I'm sure you can tell by now.
pos

Carson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

EkDesiLadki wrote:
So what ? Lot many students don't have cars. DO YOU UNDERSTAND INGLISH ? I said: WHEN I was a student.
Also, you are still DUMPSTER diving and steal Asian's silk clothes, isn't that LOW LIFE ???? At least my parents were stable enough to offer me food, dress and EDUCATION unlike yours. When you are INSIDE A DUMPSTER, YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT YOUR LIFE IS WORTH. You are a GARBAGE.
<quoted text>
Actually NO, Middle class people have garage sales all the time, and buy each others old crap, they like deals.
That is within the realm of NORMAL.
No, your parents were poor trash making you take a bus, and not providing you with a car, my parents bought me a car, They didn't want me on a bus filled with murderers.

Maybe your parents didn't CARE enough about you to provide you with a car, VERY SAD, they didn't LOVE you enough.
pos

Carson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

OH YEAH, the Indians don't VALUE a girl the same as a BOY, I keep forgetting your sexist culture.
pos

Carson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

EkDesiLadki wrote:
I'm fine, brother.
Yep, true. It's low life nazi scum, needs some English education. I know many schools here take even kids in field trips in public transport. Many companies also give FREE public transit passes for their employee every year because of crowded parking lot. Carpooling or using public transport is highly encouraged in our areas even for working professionals. I know, friends who bike to work once in a week.
<quoted text>
How does it FEEL, KNOWING your parents didn't love you enough by not providing you with a car?
You should get therapy for the love you didn't get provided with.

Level 8

Baltimore, Md.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

Judged:

EkDesiLadki wrote:
If you were the person who is fallowing a teenager and you are NOT in uniform, you better be AFRAID. If that teenager was my nephew, I'll wait and come back after many years.
I wouldn't spit on zimmerpig's corpse if he is been killed by anyone because my spit is more valuable. If I'm on Jury on that trail, I'll say that person did his duty by killing a child-killer. Do you think all the black and Hispanic kids who are going to high schools need to live with the fear of someone shooting them ? Is there any guarantee that this guy wouldn't commit any such offense again given the opportunity ?
Wow! do you expect a kid to be NOT scared of a guy who kept stalking him ? Motive of the kid is irrelevant in this case.
<quoted text>
When we consider all the known variables, and simply imagine that Martin had been white, and Zimmerman black, every honest person knows that Zimmeman would have been arrested immediately.
And they'd LAUGH at his claim to self-defense. Martin the danger? Imagine a stalked white child being consider the danger. Of course, one of the enduring streotypes about Black folk is that we are bestial, endowed with bestial physical force (even if only 140lbs facing 240lbs ogre), simian athletic prowess, and congenital inclinations toward violence. So, I guess with that perception one could imagine that somehow the really dangerous person was the black kid. But if Martin--no police record, no problems in school, and weighing a mere 140lbs--were white, there's no way police would have accepted the asumption that HE was the threat to an armed, 240lbs Black who accosted him. They wouldn't imagine that he had such extraordinary fighting abilities, unless he was known to be skilled in martial arts. And if the Black man was pursuing him, it still wouldn't matter. They wouldn't care about the white boy's hoodie or pants, or about whether this made him look like a thug rather than an innocent child. And they'd probably laugh all the way to the jail at the stupidity of the 240lbs black guy with the gun if "self-defense" was the best explanation he could come up with.
pos

Carson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

EkDesiLadki wrote:
I'm fine, brother.
<quoted text>
Sure they do, it is sad you must make rationalizations for not owning a car. A bike? Good one, thats the ticket.
You can get some free bus tokens at the welfare office, if that helps you?
pos

Carson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

maybe I should take her advise and pass up those free silk dresses like the sacred cows, sitting there starving too stupid to eat a nice steak ambling on by?

I could always go to the shopping center and buy one for two hundred bucks, that would certainly make me more intelligent.
pos

Carson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

QUOTE:, a Ph.D. student named Monica Das Gupta was conducting anthropological fieldwork in Haryana, a state in the north of India. She observed something striking about families there: parents had a fervent preference for male offspring. Women who had given birth to only daughters were desperate for sons and would keep having children until they had one or two. Midwives were even paid less when a girl was born.“It’s something you notice coming from outside,” says Das Gupta, who today studies population and public health in the World Bank’s development research group.“It just leaps out at you.”
pos

Carson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

So we will have to assume, Loudinki had a deprived and worthless existance as a girl child from her sexist parents.
No wonder she sounds so BITTER, HOWLING and ranting about WHITES.

Level 8

Baltimore, Md.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

EkDesiLadki wrote:
Even if you are just a yellow belt with 6 months of practice, you can easily take down 240 lbs guys. You can see that happening in dojo every time.
Instead of being armed, I feel it would be MORE sensible to learn martial arts. Obviously, you could also disarm the person and hurt him with his own weapon.
<quoted text>
Which is another reason why the self-defense claim of Zimmerman sounds so specious to me? If Martin were trained in the martial arts, he[d have enough sense to disarm Zimmerman. His reflexes would be quicker, and he'd almost certainly disarmed that 240lb ogre before he had a chance to use his weapon.

But if Trayvon didn't have extraordinary fighting skills, I'm seriously skeptical about Zimmerman's need for a gun even if Zim had himself been the stalked rather than the stalker.

And if that 140lbs, 17 year old child had been able to best that 240lb galoot in a physical fight, then maybe Zim needed some martial arts training.
It doesn't add up....altough, if by some chance Trayvon was beating Zimmerman's ass, I would have loved to have been their to see it. And if he'd gone for a gun, I'd disarm him myself...and give him ANOTHER ass whipping. The cowardly dog.

Level 8

Baltimore, Md.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

Judged:

attai1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What does the word "white" mean ? blanco blanc weiss ? If not to have a white skin ? Do you a Black "white" person ???? Stop the crack pipe.
Zimmerman is looking as a white mestizo if you stick to this word, i don't mind. It doesn't change his skin color is white not Black, not brown. So yes he enjoys the "white privilege" in Florida.
The Sanford police treatment of his case is a permanent proof of that.
Trayvon was a "thug" because he was dressed like hundreds of millions of kids of his age worldwide ? Are you more n*ts than the usual ?
i see "thugs" (!) like him every day in France by the dozen : they are not "suspicious" at all and a cold killer shooting them would be in jail in France from the beginning.
You will even see GIRLS dressed like that.
Moreover it was raining so wearing his hoodie was normal.
Besides i've see my Mentor wearing this type of sweater with a hoodie when he is doing his daily exercise routine in his community : you would be truly crazy to deem him a "thug" on this.
How would react you if a bizarre (ugly and hostile) white mestizo - 11 years older and much bigger than you - was pursuing you in a car in the dark under the rain ? Then you run and suddenly the weirdo is there out of his car confronting you ? Would you fear for your life or facing a predator or some KKK activist ?
Zimmerman's behavior was abnormal from the start, he acted solely on a prejudice and clearly wanted to make Trayvon his "trophy" in grabbing him so he can't "get away". He did alas with his gun killing a teenager who was in self defense with his sole fists.
As for the white matrix, yes it is there : in Zimmerman's mind when he saw Trayvon as a "thug", in the Sanford police treatment (no arrest, no prosecution) and the local attorney who stepped down too.
a whiteboi
One day, I'd like to meet this AA mentor of yours. The fact of the matter is that on our chill out time, any number of Black professionals and intellectuals may also dress in a manner that some folk regard as thuggish. Probably most ouf us won't do the saggning pants thing.
But yeah, you might catch me in a hoodie, with jeans and occasionally a long white T-Shirt.
But why does that make me or my newphew look suspicious, when my white colleague's younger kinfolk don't looks suspicious shen they dress the same way.
One thing that's perhaps pecuuliar about America, is that Black cultural expressions are often liked and emulated even by those who do not like Black peopple.
So, here in Bmore you will see upper middle class white kids digging on hip hop music, and dressing like black kids in the hood.
But if one of them is stalked and killed--especially by a black--one would never hear it said, "He looks thuggish. Maybe the Black guy who killed him has reasonable grounds to believe he waa being threatened."
And older friend of mine, who teaches Philosophy at Howard U, was telling me in the 1990s how unhappy he was thet his son was into the baggy pants and other such attire.
The elderly Black gent who was a 19 year old student during the March on Washington, who's a published scholar, literate in German, still had to live with the reailty that his middle class son was down with stuff that was fashionable with young people. Did that make the professor's son a thug? No. Though his son did have some encounters with the police who viewd him as such. But the most serious problem was not his son's attire, but the racism of the police.
The problem, as best we can tell, was not with Trayvon Martin but with the racism of George Zimmerman and the Sanford, Florida police.
Barros Serrano

Magdalena, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

EkDesiLadki wrote:
If you think, he was SHOT for wearing hoodie than isn't Zimmer still a RACIST ??
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/0...
I've seen lot of HISPANIC kids on hoodie too. My gardener's helper(Hispanic) and my contractor's kids(Hispanic) wear hoodie.
I don't think they belonged to any gangs or they wouldn't be working or helping their parents/relatives.
There are some Indian/Asian teenagers who dress just like blacks but they all grow out of it later. Again if he shot someone because of their dress, that certainly is RACIST. There should be any question about Zmmr a racist or not.
<quoted text>
That is one question... was he racially motivated. The other is, was he indeed exercising self-defense. There is evidence pointing in both directions for both questions. I think we will know more when the federal investigation is completed.
Barros Serrano

Magdalena, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is another reason why the self-defense claim of Zimmerman sounds so specious to me? If Martin were trained in the martial arts, he[d have enough sense to disarm Zimmerman. His reflexes would be quicker, and he'd almost certainly disarmed that 240lb ogre before he had a chance to use his weapon.
But if Trayvon didn't have extraordinary fighting skills, I'm seriously skeptical about Zimmerman's need for a gun even if Zim had himself been the stalked rather than the stalker.
And if that 140lbs, 17 year old child had been able to best that 240lb galoot in a physical fight, then maybe Zim needed some martial arts training.
It doesn't add up....altough, if by some chance Trayvon was beating Zimmerman's ass, I would have loved to have been their to see it. And if he'd gone for a gun, I'd disarm him myself...and give him ANOTHER ass whipping. The cowardly dog.
Here again I have to insist that we need more evidence. We do not know what were the fighting skills of either Zimmerman or Martin. Nor do we know what position they were in when Zimmerman pulled the gun.

We can largely only speculate at this point. We have a few facts, but not all of them yet.
Barros Serrano

Magdalena, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
One day, I'd like to meet this AA mentor of yours. The fact of the matter is that on our chill out time, any number of Black professionals and intellectuals may also dress in a manner that some folk regard as thuggish. Probably most ouf us won't do the saggning pants thing.
But yeah, you might catch me in a hoodie, with jeans and occasionally a long white T-Shirt.
But why does that make me or my newphew look suspicious, when my white colleague's younger kinfolk don't looks suspicious shen they dress the same way.
One thing that's perhaps pecuuliar about America, is that Black cultural expressions are often liked and emulated even by those who do not like Black peopple.
So, here in Bmore you will see upper middle class white kids digging on hip hop music, and dressing like black kids in the hood.
But if one of them is stalked and killed--especially by a black--one would never hear it said, "He looks thuggish. Maybe the Black guy who killed him has reasonable grounds to believe he waa being threatened."
And older friend of mine, who teaches Philosophy at Howard U, was telling me in the 1990s how unhappy he was thet his son was into the baggy pants and other such attire.
The elderly Black gent who was a 19 year old student during the March on Washington, who's a published scholar, literate in German, still had to live with the reailty that his middle class son was down with stuff that was fashionable with young people. Did that make the professor's son a thug? No. Though his son did have some encounters with the police who viewd him as such. But the most serious problem was not his son's attire, but the racism of the police.
The problem, as best we can tell, was not with Trayvon Martin but with the racism of George Zimmerman and the Sanford, Florida police.
As I am frequently in the schools, I know that the manner of dress can vary widely, and you cannot know the character of an individual by their dress, usually. There are some cases when a highschool student enters class I know immediately this one is trouble, but not only from the dress, it is also because of demeanor.

Well, if Zimmerman followed Martin only because he was a black with a hoodie, the question remains, why did he shoot him? We have heard that he claims self-defense as a justification, but we have not been told against what he was defending? An actual assault? The presence of a hoodie? What?
Barros Serrano

Magdalena, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2012

Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
I was trying to find out Martin's height, for I knew his weight was reported as 140--150 lbs. If he was 6'2/ 150lbs then he was think as a broomstick! I know. At his age I was just 1 inch shorter (amd still 6'1") and 150lbs. Folk in the hood called me "slim." ("Hey slim, what's happenin man?") I did study Karate at that age. I don't know whether I was already sufficiently skilled to take care of a 240 lbs ogre like Zimmerman.
Without martial arts skills--well developed--there's no way that an unarmed Trayvon was beating Zimmerman's ass.
Of course, if he had been doing so---and heaven knows Zimmerman would have deserved it--it is MARTIN who would have been justified in laying a smack down in self-defense.
Even if there's an element of truth in Zimmerman story, it sounds like this:
He accosts a kid, tall but too small to look like much of a challenge. Turns out the kid is tougher than Zim expected (or Zim no as tough as he4 though) and young Martin kicks his ass.
Partly from embarrassment (a butt whipping from a child!), fear (partly racially motivated), Zim grabs his gun and off a teen ager who had outclassed him in a fight which he (the 240lb bully started). Knowing full well, that false accusations against Blacks are more often readily accepted on the flimsiest of grounds, he simply says it was self-defense---that young Martin attacked HIM!
Sanford police (given its long and established record of racism) predictably took Zimmerman's word of self-defense that they wuuld not have accepted if the victim was a white child (even a white child dressed in the hip hop fashion with hoodie and sagging pants).
Police ignore black protests until social media and expansion of the protests makes NATIONAL & INTERNATONAL NEWS.
Now they find out that THIS TIME (unlike most times) they can sweep this killing under a rug, nor simply dismiss it under the label of street crime.
And on this note, progressives in Occupy and other movements need to make full use of the new social media, as an aid (not substitute) for in person and person-to-person activities.
In Black and Brown communities where police and judicial abuses run so rampant, neighbors ought to learn techniques of surveillance made possible by new technologies.
The Black Panthers in the 1960s & 70s used to patrol police, armed with law books (and guns until it was outlawed) to restrain the coercive conduct of police, and educate people regarding their rights.
Activists in these communities need to expand on this old Panther technique with new social media. In this context, we may also revive our efforts at political education to heighten the consciousness of the masses of the people.
Much we do not know. Was Zimmerman an ogre? or a clumsy fat guy? Who assaulted whom first? Etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 4,941 - 4,960 of7,281
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••